Firefox "Your browser is up to date"

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Firefox "Your browser is up to date"

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 21:38
... taken at about eleven o'clock in the morning."
Or in my case, taken when the little hand rests near the "11".
I have one clock in the house, battery flat, hands set at ten to eleven - it's always time for elevenses
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 21:28
What are "elevenses?"
Next thing is, you'll be asking "What is a county?". You just KNOW that it'll be different from the USA!
Bonus dialect material for two seconds starting at 0m 32s

You're welcome!
Cheers, Chris

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Hello
I was tidying up my chaotic computer organisation a bit recently, so when I caught this Thread, I thought out of interest I would check out clicking on that Homemade SPAM thing in Word(s).

My results so far here, are a bit patchy as I don’t have all versions on everything everywhere, but I am looking at this range _...
Words: 2003 2007 2010 2013,
Operating systems: Vista, Win7, Win10, win11
Firefox: a few old ones and an up to date one

I pretty well get that …"Your browser is up to date" … annoyance problem everywhere.
As Hans and Ken don’t get that on newer Words, then my guess is that either something was changed around or after 2013 which had the side effect of making the problem going away, or something was introduced to help discourage using older Offices, or some combination of those two things perhaps – something being changed and the people changing it not being too worried what it did to older Words.
So far my limited measurements suggest the browser version has no effect. For example my last result in the linked list is Windows 11 with newest Firefox version. (Word 2010 I have on that computer).

_.___________________

The workaround linked in the first post from Chris works for me almost. - If I change the link from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOvAMWupNcs
to
https://www.youtube.com/watch/FOvAMWupNcs
then, first I go to a cookie acceptance page, and then after to the video.

_.______________
ChrisGreaves wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 15:34
... using Word2003 since around 2023, and installing always from the same physical CD.
that's not so long Chris, :smile: , give it a chance, - I started using it a few years ago, and I think there is still lots of good stuff to discover.
I got some Office 2003 physical CDs as well. I bought them on eBay for little more than the cost of post. I could keep using them to install over and over anywhere. (I wouldn’t though, seriously, well not on other multiple computers, as I don’t think you should use more than the agreed licence number. What is annoying though, is that I have more legal licences on 2007 and 2010 DVDs than I have ever installed, and some were quite expensive from new, but never the less, I can’t use them anywhere anymore as I re installed on the same computers a few times. So I can understand people fiddling the to get over that hurdle. ( Please don’t tell me anyone about numbers to phone Microsoft to get the things to activated. Just the thought of the last few times I tried that does my head in. I am planning to learn how to fiddle it but only so that I can personally use what I am legally entitled to but am prevented from by Microsoft. ) )

_.___________________________________________

BTW you can pick up the old Firefox install exes for experimenting, Chris, from what looks like the official FireFox/Godzilla site here: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
I compared what I had found laying around with what I thought should be the same install exe file from there, and they looked either the same or very similar, going by the file size. You need to be a bit careful and look around a bit as a lot of files there have the same name

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Here's another example that cropped up this morning:-
PCryer_005.png
PCryer_006.png
The web site URL is quite plain.
I used Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to paste the URL from Firefox 115.5.0 ESR into my MSWord2003 Create-Hyperlink dialogue (Ctrl+K) just two days ago.

I do now believe that the string that Word2003 sends to the browser and hence to the black-box that interprets the string, is missing some characteristic code that the upgraded black-box needs, and hence the modernized black-box has a hiccough.

If so, then all those of you who are running Word2004+ will, one day, come across a similar issue.

Again, back when my copy of Word2003 was burned to its plastic CD, people were still worried about The Melissa Virus, not about account-stuffing and the like.

Cheers, Chris
P.S. I should add that when I Ctrl+K to edit the hyperlink in MSWord2003 and then Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C to copy the link and Ctrl+L, Ctrl+V to paste the link into the browser, the target page is reached as it should be. C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 17:27
Here's another example that cropped up ..
…. then all those of you who are running Word2004+ will, one day, come across a similar issue..
Already have…
That’s one of 2-3 errors that crop up occasionally by me in Word or Excel when clicking on a link, mostly around the Vista-Win7-Office-(Word-and-Excel)-2007-2010 computer and software range. That particular one seems to come and go quite quickly. I had it once whilst I was making that list the other day, but it went away. Does an error like that not possibly suggest a glitch in your internet? – since it seems to be saying it can’t find something on the internet?
A similar but more persistent one I got as well the other day, https://i.postimg.cc/HxHcZYq8/Error-on- ... k-word.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/0Q13rDc6/Vista-Ace ... -error.jpg
That second one also crops up by me mostly around the Vista Win7 Office 2007 2010 computer range. That tends to stay around a bit longer. Like an apple on a tree you can’t shake off, then it drops off on its own later.
There was a third one as well, but I forgot the details about it. It was quite common for a while but it went away. That caught people out, since there was no problem, you just hit OK and all was well. People forget that when something stops and you get a terminal error message, then whilst you mostly do have a terminal error, it isn’t always. Sometimes the computer is telling you porky pies.

I think generally I get more problems with clicking on links not working in Office than I generally do with other link clicking stuff. As a repository for links to click on, I tend to favour forum posts. It’s strange because generally I like to be as independent and self sufficient in life that I can, but there is something about a forum structure that I like. Forums can be strange things luring you in, Lol. I like the idea of having a forum software structure as an alternative to a web site. I am pretty well doing that over at excelfox just now

I find a good solution is to prepare and keep everything I post in a Word .doc
I always copy and paste finally from the Word .doc to the forum post.
(I have simple macros running of Key shortcuts for BB code formatting. Those sort of things, “global” type or personal macros in Word seem a bit less reliable in newer Word versions. The short cut and/ or even the personal macros vanish periodically for no apparent reason in newer Word versions after 2010, (I guess that the time 10-15 years ago when your windows computer stopped being yours, and rather more like a terminal you have limited access to that is connected to the Microsoft Server )
That pasting BB coded word text into a forum post solution of mine is a bit indirect, - I am very interested in exploring further the more direct Word-Word html-internet site approach. But much later. I already broke a forum a few times enabling HTML and then posting some html into it. I would like to avoid breaking it again for a while, until I know a lot more about how to fix it)

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DocAElstein wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 21:44
That particular one seems to come and go quite quickly.
Hi Alan.
The wobble does not appear to come and go on my system.
Indeed, I just downloaded my original test example and clicked on the link and received the same pop-up message.
Cheers, Chris

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

stuck wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 12:36
Me? I just have to put up with in inconvenience of not surfing the web from my sofa, and instead use my Win 10 desktop PC that's in the study, while my Win 11 laptop goes back to Lenovo for a warranty repair.
Or you could slap a Linux installation on your old laptop. Handy if all you are doing is browsing. I'm currently using PeppermintOS on a Lenovo X270 Thinkpad (previously loved and refurbished) that I got for a very decent price. And yes, I'm on my sofa (or setee really, cause I'm scottish...).

NOTES:
  • Linux is not hard if all you want is something to surf and email from.
  • Battery life on this old workhorse is excellent (not 8 hours, but I get a couple of hours easily.)
  • The refurbishers did a good job, (KelsusIT, but I got it from Amazon) except for the little nub in the middle of the keyboard, which I never use, but looked a bit scruffy, so I bought a pack of replacements for pennies.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Right now about one in twenty links baulk. Pat Cryer's site is one such. I noticed today that the URL is a Secure url "https://www.1900s.org.uk/shops.htm", and wonder whether my old version Word2003 is doing something special when it comes across that "s" as in "https://"

I will try to record all links that fail over the next few days and then report back.
Cheers, Chris