Importing bookmarks from an html file

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Importing bookmarks from an html file

Post by ChrisGreaves »

You-all will think that you are dreaming, but my copy of Firefox is up-to-date.
Untitled.png
Now that you have pinched yourselves several times, I should announce too that I am thinking of migrating back to Firefox from Vivaldi.
Several Help topics suggest methods of importing bookmarks from Vivaldi.
The easiest, and the one I have tried is:
(a) Export bookmarks from Vivaldi as an HTML file
(b) Import those bookmarks to Firefox using the bookmarks.html.
Untitled2.png
The file appears to be the right size, has links which work, but Firefox refuses to import the html.
At least it accepts it, but my bookmarks toolbars and menus fail to appear, even after reloading Firefox.
I tried rolling back to Firefox Setup 56.0.exe, in case the json format had abandoned the html format. No such luck.
I would appreciate any suggestions that will help me import bookmarks from Vivaldi (Chrome) into my shiny-new Firefox.
Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Importing bookmarks from an html file

Post by stuck »

Isn't just a case of, In Firefox clicking:
Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks
then when the Library opens, clicking on Import / export
and in there, choosing the import from HTML option or even the choosing the 'import data from another browser option

?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:10
Isn't just a case of, In Firefox clicking:...
Hi Ken, and thanks for the response.
I see two avenues of import in Firefox 101
Untitled.png
Import settings and data indicates that bookmarks would be forthcoming, but only two browsers are recognized - Edge and Chrome - and even then only "Cookies", "Browsing history", and "Saved logins and passwords" are to be imported. Vivaldi is person non grata, and I see no change in bookmarks because I have neither Edge nor Chrome.
Untitled2.png
Import bookmarks from HTML is an option, but when I browse to my file, and can see that firefox previews valid bookmarks, I choose OPEN and then silence reigns.
Untitled3.png
The result is that no bookamrks have been added to Firefox.

All in all I find this strange; I would have thought that cornering the market would involve embracing as many browser formats and file formats as possible.
Morosely yours, :grin:
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:08
...The result is that no bookmarks have been added to Firefox...
Are you sure? What happens if you expand the items boxed in red:
cgFFlibListing.jpg
I may be wrong but those items look to me like your multiple attempts at importing from HTML.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 17:40
I may be wrong but those items look to me like your multiple attempts at importing from HTML.
Ken, while it is true that you may be wrong, it is much more likely that you have been right more times than I have been wrong. and that is saying something. :cheers: :chocciebar: :clapping: :fanfare:
Untitled.png
As you can see, I now have a decent bookmarks toolbar, and I have taken the liberty of adding supportive evidence that, as you correctly reasoned, I had made numerous attempts to "make this work".

Too, your eagle eyes will already have spotted that I am posting this reply from with Firefox101.

One last question: Have you considered the possibility of moving to Bonavista? I am evidence that there is a dearth of smart people here ...
Thanks, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 17:58
One last question: Have you considered the possibility of moving to Bonavista? I am evidence that there is a dearth of smart people here ...
The winds would blow me right back across the Atlantic to Europe...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 17:58
...Have you considered the possibility of moving to Bonavista? I am evidence that there is a dearth of smart people here ...
That line about "Flattery will get you everywhere", it's not true. It won't get me to Bonavista.

Sorry!

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let alone to Cape Flattery
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hans> The winds would blow me right back across the Atlantic to Europe...
stuck> That line about "Flattery will get you everywhere", it's not true. It won't get me to Bonavista
hans> Let alone to Cape Flattery

So, the advantages are :-
(1) No need to buy a return ticket
(2) I have lots of spare copies of Firefox for you to play with
(3) Bonavista is itself flattering. This month, the whole town is decked out in my national colours.
(4) Cape F is nothing special; it is after all practically Vancouver, whereas Bonavista is akin to Telegraph Creek.

The disadvantages are singular: the lack of time. Another twelve garbage bags of grass clippings delivered yesterday, six gooseberry plants, two of which have to be shuttled to Bunyan's Cover this morning on the truck that will bring my first eight new windows from Lethbridge. Plus a little old lady in Catalina who needs gardening work done, I am told. five pounds of rhubarb stalks to be bottled each week, bread to be baked. I have an order for fifty plum trees, so I am subsisting basically on plums this week - I need the stones - which is playing havoc with my, ahem, digestive system.
Cheers, Chris