adlocker for firefox

HansV
Administrator

Re: adlocker for firefox

Post by HansV »

Argus wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 23:56
there can be certain pages that block you a soon as they notice these add-ins
I don't bother with such sites; if they act like that, I won't visit them.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a copy of Microsoft Edge with very limited addons, that I use to access web sites that I REALLY NEED, but that won't load past all the protection that I normally use with Firefox and Chrome.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 23:56
I haven't finished reading what you wrote above. :laugh: :evilgrin:
So aren't you glad that there isn't a Chrisblocker extension? ("What! There's more of him?!!???")
... temp. disable uBlock Origin; ...
Hi Argus; I was reading about "temp" blocking yesterday. On the surface that seems like a good idea, rather like not getting caught "just this once" or "getting-away-with-it just one more timne, then we'll quit".

I am of the opinion that most of the sites I visit are harmless, in the sense that I always start from Eileen's Lounge, and from here references to web sites are not likely to be harmful. I am not chatting in the underworld of the web. My biggest danger is ME. I am likely to see something that sparks my interest - I Google Search, click on a link, click on a second link, and before we know it I am at a bad site.

If at this point there is malevolent code that is struggling to attack me, I should forget about my whim to know more about "the toothless pioneers of the Petinitite miners of the Watchagotchee mountains" and get back to studying John McWhorter. After all, if my biggest problem is ME, then the solution is likely to be action on MY part, such as backing away.

That is, if a top-level blocker is struggling hard to let me in, I probably shouldn't be struggling that hard to get in.
After all, what has the web site crafter put in there that needs to be so complicated?

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 08:24
I don't bother with such sites; if they act like that, I won't visit them.
Hans I spotted this as soon as I had submitted the ME/MY post to Argus.
As usual, you are spot-on, and concise!
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace