BBC iPlayer Radio doesn't work in FF (UK only)

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

BBC iPlayer Radio doesn't work in FF (UK only)

Post by John Gray »

On Win10Pro using Firefox Quantum 61.0.1 64-bit, and unable to use the BBC iPlayer Radio to play anything from Radio 3.
The burgundy 'banner' appears, and at its bottom left the Play icon appears then gets replaced by the Pause icon.
Nothing then happens and nothing moves, although it thinks it is playing the music.
I have deleted and recreated my BBC account to no avail.

It works fine in IE11 (pah!).

Has any UK person had similar problems, or do the Firefox forums make mention of this?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Leif
Administrator

Re: BBC iPlayer Radio doesn't work in FF (UK only)

Post by Leif »

Following the link from the main BBC News page > Radio > R3 it works fine - it starts playing (Composer of the Week) immediately.

These are my ScriptSafe settings:
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Your problem might be a side effect of setting:
    media.autoplay.enabled
to 'false'

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, both! Now I can hear Josquin des Prez! :innocent:

I had set media.autoplay.enabled to false ages ago to save having music from some wicked web-pages bursting forth on my speakers!

Changing it to true causes the BBC iPlayer Radio to work, but at the expense of reverting to the previous problem...

Is there a (different) solution for this, does anyone know? Perhaps involving ScriptSafe?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

John Gray wrote:Is there a (different) solution for this, does anyone know?
Have a look at Disable HTML5 Autoplay - my initial testing appears to show some success, and may do just what you want.
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Leif, that extension looks very promising.
The two websites I tried waited patiently for me to click on their Play icon...
John Gray

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

(In keeping with (UK only). :smile:)

Especially since it stops the so annoying Previews of videos at the BBC's pages.

Scroll down a page that includes videos, and they will often run for a couple of seconds; scroll down some more and now there will be a drop-down menu, banner, whatever, at the top the page, covering part of the page, reminding you that there is a video further up. Oh, as if we didn't know.

They have been experimenting with different designs/software; since some year there is a "More to watch" banner that pops up as soon as you pause a video (trying to read some of the text or look at some of the details). Yes, it is possible to remove the banner clicking on X, but if you do you have suddenly changed focus in the UI, and can no longer start the video again by simply pressing Spacebar or Enter. It's simply one of the worst designs. They can show "More to watch" at the end of a video.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.