Unknown folders

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Unknown folders

Post by viking33 »

While browsing around, I went into (username)>Appdata>Roaming>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles> (username).default folder, all of these unkown folders dating back to 2012 to presewnt time 2018. They are fairly sizable and wonder what they are and can most of the older ones be deleted?
2012-4-12 17.20.2.371
thru
2018-4-25 14.52.38.783

i imaging they are version numbers? But why keep them around? They average 10 to 15 KB to over 25 KB and there are 32 of them? :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unknown folders

Post by HansV »

What is in those folders?
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:What is in those folders?
I tried to open them but it just said it didn't know what to use in order to open those files?
Used a few choices and did get MS Word to open one but the result was total gibberish to me? I take it you don't have anything like them on your system.
WHO.JPG
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Added info.
I just now renamed the whole bunch, 32 of them by putting a # sign as the first character on all of the files. I am able to get here to the Lounge OK, so I'll run for a while to see if anything complains. If not, out they go. Leave ti me to get the strange ones!
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have any of those, but I'm confused. You refer to them as folders, but from your screenshot it seems they are files...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I don't have any of those, but I'm confused. You refer to them as folders, but from your screenshot it seems they are files...
Sorry about that, Hans. They are indeed files not folders.
Thus far, all seems to be running OK with no moans and groans from anything. I did look at them again today amd all are still keeping the new rename and no new ones have been added. I guess I'll kepp them for a while longer and then dump them.
BOB

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

viking33 wrote:While browsing around, I went into (username)>Appdata>Roaming>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles> (username).default folder, all of these unkown folders dating back to 2012 to presewnt time 2018. They are fairly sizable and wonder what they are and can most of the older ones be deleted?
2012-4-12 17.20.2.371
thru
2018-4-25 14.52.38.783

i imaging they are version numbers? But why keep them around? They average 10 to 15 KB to over 25 KB and there are 32 of them? :scratch:
I had a problem with multiple profiles with Mozilla. I was running FF as my main browser + 3 portable versions. 1 installed version of Thunderbird and 1 portable. All had their own profile settings, finding which one refered to was to me, impossible. So I made a fresh backup of my contacts and bookmarks in .json format. Deleted all profiles, replaced what I had backed up and all was well.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.