Foxit Reader Plugin

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Foxit Reader Plugin

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yesterday and again today when I attempted to open a PDF document from a page on the web, I got a warning screen that says Foxit Reader is "vulnerable." I wish I had made a screen clip of it but I didn't bother.

This warning message allowed me to click through and I WAS able to open and print the form I wanted.

But when it happened again a short time ago, I opened the FX Addon screen, went to Plugins and sure enough there was a Firefox warning about this plugin being vulnerable. I opened the Foxit reader app on my desktop and asked it to check for updates and there WAS a Firefox plugin update available which I installed - version 2.2.3.111.

Upon checking both the Addon screen and opening a web page PDF, the warning has not reappeared. FWIW.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Foxit Reader Plugin

Post by HansV »

I got offered the plugin update last Friday, and I have viewed PDF files from Firefox several times since without warnings.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hmmm, wonder how you do that? In the Fx Plugin screen I don't see anyplace to make a choice about updating, nor do I see such a choice on the desktop app preferences. Since I use it so frequently, I too would like to be notified of available updates.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Hmmm, wonder how you do that? In the Fx Plugin screen I don't see anyplace to make a choice about updating, nor do I see such a choice on the desktop app preferences. Since I use it so frequently, I too would like to be notified of available updates.
Are we talking of the same thing? When I looked at the plug-in "more information," it gave me this.
Capture22.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes - a newer version is available.
In Foxit Reader, select Help > Check for Updates. There will probably be some items you don't need/want, but if your Firefox plugin is out of date, the latest version should be listed on the left hand side. Select it and click Add, then click Next.
x1393.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

It happened again a few hours ago. I went to open a PDF on a web page and got an empty screen with this in the middle of the screen:
2013-01-20_191640.png
I had to go the the Foxit app on the computer and update the plugin again because Fx said the current one is "vulnerable." Mine NOW says I have 2.2.3.111

Hmmm...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Al. It may have been due to an update to Foxit Reader itself.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Foxit Reader Plugin UPDATE

Post by BobH »

Where does one find the Foxit Reader app on one's computer? I thought that it existed only as a Fx Plug-In. I cannot find it in any folder on my system. I too have the Fx message that it has 'unplugged' the plug-in.

I generally don't chase apps that have had vulnerabilities in the past, but I also don't like Adobe's Reader. Is there a better plug-in than Foxit? Or, should I continue to try to find and apply the updated plug-in?

TIA

UPDATE:
I found Foxit Reader by going through CP|Programs_and_Features (Win 7 HP). I then looked in the directory for Program Files (x86) and found the Foxit Software sub-folder. I tried to find updates but got a message saying that no updates are available. I checked Help|About. . . and got this panel:
AboutFoxit.JPG
Can anyone spread light on this for me?
Last edited by BobH on 21 Jan 2013, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Foxit Reader is a stand-alone application that comes with browser plugins. If you have it, it should be listed in the Programs and Features control panel.
You can get Foxit Reader from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It may want to install extras - be alert.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Foxit Reader is a stand-alone application that comes with browser plugins. If you have it, it should be listed in the Programs and Features control panel.
You can get Foxit Reader from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It may want to install extras - be alert.
Thank you, Hans!

I removed all vestiges of the prior installation including deleting some files and folders from the HDD even after the uninstall process completed. I then downloaded the app from the URL you provided and installed from there. They really DO try to sneak in some garbage, don't they?

It now appears that Fx is allowing the new version to run. I haven't happened upon a PDF to read with it yet.

Thanks for posting this thread and in this thread. It made me aware of a situation that I didn't know about and allowed me to overcome it.

I'd still like to know if there is a better alternative than Adobe or Foxit. Anyone?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I was seeing that warning but after updating Fx Plug-in to V.2.2.3.111 and Foxit to V. 5.5.5.0114, no longer do I have that warning and the plug-in remains enabled.
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BOBH said: I'd still like to know if there is a better alternative than Adobe or Foxit. Anyone?
-------------------------------------------------
I got rid of Adobe as soon as Foxit became available and have been satisfied with Foxit because of speedier results and much less bloat than Adobe.
BOB

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

viking33 wrote:BOBH said: I'd still like to know if there is a better alternative than Adobe or Foxit. Anyone?
I use Nitro Reader claimed by the purveyors to do by default more than any other free PDF reader. And there is a paid for version.
http://www.nitroreader.com/?utm_source= ... =ReaderApp

Amelia43
StarLounger

Post by Amelia43 »

I agree- Nitro Reader is excellent and has many useful editing functions. Another recommendation is PDF- XChange Viewer- which also has many editing functions. Both work well with Firefox.