Missing web address

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Missing web address

Post by PaulB »

I've noticed over the last week or so that some, but not all, sites that I visit fail to display their address in the 'wonder' bar. Is this a new feature of Firefox, or is it a bug? Has anyone else noticed this?
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Missing web address

Post by HansV »

I'm using Firefox 17.0.1 and the address of the web page is displayed correctly.
Perhaps an extension is interfering?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

If it's not an addon, how about a little experiment?

When Fx first came out with the "red thingie" in the upper left corner (don't remember which version) I got rid of it and use the old fashioned menu bar, etc. What if you expand that thing and see what happens?

The only caution/concern I have is that I can't for the life of me remember how to get it back, now that mine has been gone for so long...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:I can't for the life of me remember how to get it back
Right click on your Menu bar and untick Menu Bar.

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Using Fx 17.0.1 here as well. Only noticed this behavior since the release of 17.0.1 or maybe 17. I think I've detected a pattern to what is happening. Will investigate further and report back.

Al, I've kept that 'red thingie' ever since it first appeared, so I don't as yet suspect that is the problem. I will keep your suggestion in mind if my 'pattern' doesn't pan out.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:Right click on your Menu bar and untick Menu Bar.
Thanks, Ken!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PaulB wrote:I've kept that 'red thingie' ever since it first appeared
On my desktop, which has a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor I turned off the 'red thingie' as soon as it appeared but on my little netbook it is much more screen space efficient to leave it in place.

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Update:

After a little more research, I have found a pattern to my problem.

If I open a link in a new tab, the web address is displayed in the address bar. If I open the same link in a new window, there is no web address in the address bar. Similarly, if I click on a link in an email (I run Thunderbird 17.0 as my email client), that page opens in a new browser window with no web address in the address bar.

It gets stranger:

When viewing a page (PageA) with no address in the address bar then open a link from PageA in a new tab (PageB) , whenever I close PageB or simply switch back to PageA, PageA now has the correct address in the address bar.
Regards,
Paul

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm stumped, Paul. Do you suppose it has anything to do with your Fx options settings? I have mine set to always open a new TAB rather than a window.

And, when I click a link in a TB message, it too opens in a new tab. So I can't help but wonder about your "tabs" setting.