Firefox 15

HansV
Administrator

Firefox 15

Post by HansV »

Although the official download site still offers Firefox 14.0.1, the built-in update mechanism has already updated my browser to version 15.0.
The new version is available from several third-party download sites, so I assume it'll be available from the Mozilla site within hours.
The major change appears to be improved memory management for add-ins. Native support for viewing PDF files appears to have been dropped from this release at the last moment.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 15

Post by HansV »

Update: version 15 is now available from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

Jim Cone
StarLounger

Post by Jim Cone »

For what it is worth...
The beta version of FireFox 15 crashed several times on me.
I reinstalled FireFox14.

I will stay awhile with release 14.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Well I bit the bullet and checked for updates and applied update.

It took ages to complete and MSE popped up at one point saying the PC was at risk because the MSE service had stopped. MSE gave me a button to click to restart it so I did.

All seems OK again now and I'm on FF 15.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jim Cone wrote:For what it is worth...
The beta version of FireFox 15 crashed several times on me.
I reinstalled FireFox14.

I will stay awhile with release 14.
Both TB and Fx 15 updated fine, no problems. :clapping:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:Both TB and Fx 15 updated fine, no problems. :clapping:
Glad to hear that report, Bob. I downloaded both but was waiting until after I have a few cold ones to get up my nerve... and I usually have NO hesitation about Fx and TB. :smile:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Why do you have reservations about upgrading this time, Al?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

PaulB wrote:Why do you have reservations about upgrading this time, Al?
See Stuck's post above.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I installed Firefox 15, it took a bit longer than an update usually does, but I didn't experience any problems - MSE didn't protest (and it's still running).
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

I had no issues updating to Firefox 15. The time for installing the updates has increased for those with MSE, for me the increase is only a few seconds. This issue is being worked on, for details see bug 775458.

For info, native support for pdf files is included in Firefox 15 but is switched off by default. You can turn it on by taking 2 steps. First in about:config set the preference pdfjs.disabled to false. You will need to restart Firefox for that change to take place. Next in the Options/Preferences dialog, go to the Applications panel and set the action for "Portable Document Format (PDF)" to "Preview in Firefox".

Another feature that is switched off by default is "In content preferences", which is used to display the Firefox options dialog inside a tab. If you want to test this, in about:config set browser.preferences.inContent to true.

These features are not yet on by default as they still some work done on them before they are ready for general use.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Tony. For me, the delay was noticeable but not spectacular - by the time I started wondering what was happening, Firefox came up again.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I upgraded a couple of PCs to Firefox 15 and didn't notice the slowdown.

I have been getting crashes once or twice a week with Firefox 14.0.1, I shall find out if Firefox 15 is any more stable.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

My concerns were ill founded as I didn't have any problems with the install except as some of you have noted, it DID take a lot longer than it usually does.

I guess I don't care about PDF reading since I use Foxit and its plugin is still working.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Further to my earlier post...

My initial FF15 install experience was on my netbook (runs Win7). This is not very speedy at starting FF the best of times so any additional delay is likely to be noticeable.

I've subsequently upgraded my desktop (runs XPMCE) and while it did take longer than I'd expect to complete the update, MSE did not protest.

Ken

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For info Mozilla will be releasing Firefox 15.0.1 to repair private browsing mode, no date confirmed but it is likely to be in the next few days.

Whilst in private browsing mode Firefox should not record details of sites visited, but there is a serious regression in Firefox 15 and it is retaining data in the cache.
Tony

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

No problems or noticeable delays upgrading TB and Fx here
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

TonyE wrote:...For info, native support for pdf files is included in Firefox 15 but is switched off by default. You can turn it on by taking 2 steps. First in about:config set the preference pdfjs.disabled to false. You will need to restart Firefox for that change to take place. Next in the Options/Preferences dialog, go to the Applications panel and set the action for "Portable Document Format (PDF)" to "Preview in Firefox".

Another feature that is switched off by default is "In content preferences", which is used to display the Firefox options dialog inside a tab. If you want to test this, in about:config set browser.preferences.inContent to true.

These features are not yet on by default as they still some work done on them before they are ready for general use.
Tony,

There's another more useful (to me) hidden feature in Firefox 15: "click-to-play" plugins. This disables plugins like Adobe Flash by default but you can still play them with a single click. This prevents Flash and other plugins from loading automatically. To enable this feature, type "about:config" in the address bar, search for "plugins.click_to_play" and set it to "true".

This enabled me to remove the FlashBlock Add-in.

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Firefox 15.0.1 has been released; you can install it by selecting Help > About Firefox.
Best wishes,
Hans