Site Password Entry

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Site Password Entry

Post by Bigaldoc »

Like most of you, I visit many places on the web, including this Lounge, that require logon with a user ID and password. There are so many that I am forced to keep a file on my computer with a list of IDs and passwords. My primary browser is Firefox and I do allow it to SAVE passwords when it offers to do so.

Whenever I visit one of those sites I usually am forced to open my local file to look up my own ID and password before I can continue. For the most part I try to use pretty strong passwords.

Today, while working on a question with someone, I came across this Firefox addon which uses the Firefox stored list of passwords. When you visit a URL that is in the password list, such as this Lounge, you simply press Ctrl N and the addon will present your logon credentials or, if only one account, will enter them automatically, logging you in successfully.

This would NOT be a good addon for a multi-user computer. Today, I have tested it on The Lounge, Amazon, Facebook, a medical site and several other places. The only sites I encountered were my two banks who evidently have security programming in place that require manual entry of logon ID and password.

Worth a look and, as with most, you can always remove it if it doesn't suit your needs.

Secure Login

Leif
Administrator

Re: Site Password Entry

Post by Leif »

Thanks Al - that looks like it could be useful!
Leif

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

If I'm going to use another persons pc, whether or not I trust the owner, I use FF portable which is zipped and password protected on a thumb drive. Then its deleted from that pc when done.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

A little background info regarding Secure Login.

The original developer, Sebastian Tschan, has abandoned it and asked if anybody wants to take over development. An organisation, Abine Inc, has taken over the add-on but so far have not released any updates for it. They have also taken over another of Sebastiosn Tschan's add-ons, Autofill Forms, and have not released any updates to that either. Abine are in the process of developing a privacy suite that includes one click login and autofill form capability. It appears to me that Secure Login and AutoFill Forms may not be updated anymore, instead their features are being incorporated into the new privacy suite by Abine.

Another add-on developer, Stanimir Stamenkov, made updates to this add-on to make it work with SeaMonkey, and at the same time made some small modifications that fixed some issues with the add-on in Firefox. This version is available from http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc ... ecurelogin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony