Crash Reports

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Crash Reports

Post by Bigaldoc »

This is very unusual for me because in all the years I've used Firefox, I don't need very many fingers to count the number of times I've had an outright crash!

But in the past week or so I've had about three, where the small popup window appears at the same time that Firefox closes. Of course, I have crash reporting turned on in my Options, so the little window will show the "details" sent to Firefox. There's a ton of technical stuff in that list, but I can make out the page I was browsing at the time and some other stuff like addon names and so forth.

I wonder if the folks at Firefox DO have the time to look at all of that stuff. Whew! It's got to be enough to keep someone busy analyzing data...

(The crash a few minutes ago seemed rather innocent to me. I was reading something on the web page of our university basketball coach - a text of his writing to his players during the summer. His web pages wouldn't be of much interest to non-fans of our team: coachcal.com)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Crash Reports

Post by stuck »

In my limited experience, Firefox weirdness usually comes back to either Add-on trouble or corruption somewhere in the profile.

We all know the well worn path of 'disable all add-ons and then put them back one at a time until the problem resurfaces'. For profile problems I've been known to:
1) quit FF
2) rename the FF profile folder to _old
3) start FF with the /profilemanger switch
4) create a brand new profile
5) quit FF again
6) use Explorer to copy over key files like places.sqlite from the old to to the new profile
7) after a few days the _old profile gets deleted

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Crash Reports

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks, Ken. My experience is the same as yours but in this case, the crashes (I think) were caused by some Facebook malady and NOT my addons or profile. I should have made it clear in my post that I was speaking only from a curiosity standpoint of how Fx deals with crash reports. I really don't think there's a problem with my setup, here's why:

In each of the recent crashes, I was in Facebook and followed a link to an external web page that someone had posted, such as our coach posting a link to his web page.

For now, I'm gonna ride it out because I haven't added any new addons, the ones I have are stable and been there for quite some time. Given the "frequent" problems in the Facebook empire and the frequency with which they "change" stuff, I'm thinking FB is giving Firefox a little bit of a problem.