Sorting...

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Sorting...

Post by ErikJan »

Sorry, another one I'm looking to simplify...

Code: Select all

Activesheet.Sort.SortFields.Clear
    Activesheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("C2:C57"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    Activesheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("B2:B57"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With Activesheet.Sort
        .SetRange Range("A1:O57")
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
Need to sort a variable range, based on cols B and C. I want that without providing the size of the array (I believe Excel can 'guess'). So something like:

Code: Select all

Activesheet.Sort.SortFields.Clear
    Activesheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Column(3), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    Activesheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Column(2), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With Activesheet.Sort
        .SetRange Cells
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
Note the Key specification and the range... I can (and will) try but could this work somehow?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Sorting...

Post by HansV »

Try

Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("B1"), Order:=xlDescending, Header:=xlYes
Best wishes,
Hans

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

My simplified example worked...

Your suggestion worked as well and that's the one I'll use. I recall that this was how I always did it in VBA2003 (also as that was the way it was 'recorded'); in my VBA2010 I recorded my examples above (and since I don't remember all from the past I tried to go with that; your solution is much nicer!)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Sort object as a property of a worksheet was introduced in Excel 2007. It is more powerful than the Sort method of a range - you can sort on any number of keys instead of up to three keys. But it's more complicated to use, and it won't work for users who still have Excel 2003 or earlier, so for the moment I stick to the Sort method of a range.
Best wishes,
Hans