Code to store documents - VB6

steveh
SilverLounger

Code to store documents - VB6

Post by steveh »

Hi all

I don't know if this is possible but at the moment we get a lot of PDF, Excel and word documents that pertain to a certain job reference in our in house operating program. I would like to start to store them in either a central location or to a location on the individual users hard drives and then recall them from the job in question when required. Some of the documents may not be created by the program but received in emails etc. Our program guy seems to think it cannot be done like this and I would like to read up on some articles if anybody has any links they could share to see how other organisations go about so that I can drive him, by suggestion, to the site so that he does not get the hump with me for contradicting him :grin: (I guess that program guys are like authors and artists and have a (very) tempermental side!!)
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Re: Code to store documents - VB6

Post by HansV »

I don't really see how VB6 would help with that. What you describe sounds a bit like a document management system (DMS). Many DMS's are large, cumbersome beasts geared towards big companies and organizations.
A relatively light-weight and easy-to-use DMS for smaller organizations is M-Files; it comes in a free Express version and a paid Professional version. See Compare M-Files Editions.
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: Code to store documents - VB6

Post by steveh »

HansV wrote:I don't really see how VB6 would help with that. What you describe sounds a bit like a document management system (DMS). Many DMS's are large, cumbersome beasts geared towards big companies and organizations.
A relatively light-weight and easy-to-use DMS for smaller organizations is M-Files; it comes in a free Express version and a paid Professional version. See Compare M-Files Editions.
Hi Hans

Thank you, that looks like a good find that I could experiment with independant of the in house O/S. I thought that because a large majority of the documents were produced as PDF and Excel documents in the program that it would be a VB solution to store them, sorry.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin