OOP Reference

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

OOP Reference

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. VB.Net, although doesn't need to refer to this specifically.

I've read numerous book chapters and web pages over the years covering Object Oriented Programming concepts, but I've lost track of them.

Could someone recommend a good book and a web site which describes these concepts well pl? Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: OOP Reference

Post by HansV »

Try Object-oriented language basics (part 1 of a series, oriented towards Java, but that shouldn't matter).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:Try Object-oriented language basics (part 1 of a series, oriented towards Java, but that shouldn't matter).
Thank you Hans. I like the initial description - a literate guy. A bit further on it becomes a bit more Java-specific, so it might be fiddly to extract the bits I need. I shall read further and hunt around :cheers:

I've also ordered a book called 'OOP Demystified'; looks interesting but it's only eight quid anyway :smile:.

BTW Most texts I've read previously became quite irritating. They nearly all start with one class, such as Employee, and then change to Car, then Dog! Why do they all do this!?

Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's not so easy to come up with a really good example of OOP for an introduction. It should be simple enough to be understandable to absolute beginners, yet complex enough to be able to illustrate various aspects of OOP. If you were taught OOP from a specific example, it's easy to use that example when you try to explain OOP to others...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@Hans .. and that's why Employee and Dog crop up so often :laugh:. Perhaps I could monitor "employee ownership of dogs"!

I think I might create an Account class and use it as a base class to create Deposit and HighInterest accounts. I can also modify it to demonstrate Interface inheritance. But I'll need to persuade people not to think too deeply about this; if they start to consider the Customer, storing transactions and changing account types it could quickly explode!

BTW Still studying VB.Net: 'Generics' has me puzzled at the minute. Perhaps I'll try and avoid the word :grin: .. or waffle! (Only joking, I never waffle..)

Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but could someone recommend a good book, rather than site, to learn about OOPs? It could either be non-program centric, or geared to VB.Net.

(Someone's asking me, but I've never read a specific book on this topic.)

Ta, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most books on OOP are geared towards other languages such as Java or C++.
Here are some that concentrate on VB.Net. Read the reviews (and take them with a grain of salt):
Object Oriented Programming in VB.Net
Object-Oriented Programming with Visual Basic .NET
Object-Oriented Programming with Visual Basic.NET
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Hans.

Yeah, bit tricky this. I might have to recommend that he read them "all" :laugh: