Unusual behaviour when using Dialogs (Word 2007/Word 2010)

Jack21
2StarLounger

Unusual behaviour when using Dialogs (Word 2007/Word 2010)

Post by Jack21 »

Hi all

I am seeing some unusual behaviour when using Dialogs and wondered if anyone else has come across this. I have developed a ribbon in VB.Net which, when the user selects the option "Labels" from the drop down I call the relevant dialog box:

appWord.Dialogs(Word.WdWordDialog.wdDialogToolsEnvelopesAndLabels).Show()

I then insert a delivery address, return address, set the return address as default and then select create a new document, all works as expected. If I then click on the "Labels" option via my developed ribbon the dialog box will appear with no delivery address or return address visible. If I then go to the Mailings ribbon and select "Envelopes" both the delivery address and return address is visible.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks as always
Jack

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unusual behaviour when using Dialogs (Word 2007/Word 201

Post by HansV »

To get the current address into the dialog, you can use

Code: Select all

With appWord.Dialogs(Word.WdWordDialog.wdDialogToolsEnvelopesAndLabels)
    .AddrText = appWord.ActiveDocument.Envelope.Address
    .Show()
End With
Howver, I can't get it to fill in the return address. The following should work, in theory:

Code: Select all

.RetAddrText = appWord.ActiveDocument.Envelope.ReturnAddress
but it doesn't do anything when I try it.

(See Built-in Dialog Box Argument Lists (Word))
Best wishes,
Hans

Jack21
2StarLounger

Post by Jack21 »

Thanks as always Hans.

I have run the code and can clearly see that I have a delivery address (appWord.ActiveDocument.Envelope.Address) and a return address (appWord.ActiveDocument.Envelope.ReturnAddress) but on opening the dialog box neither appear. I have a strong feeling we have found a Microsoft bug !!

Regards
Jack

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I also tried

appWord.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=794).Execute

The addresses were briefly displayed in the dialog, then cleared... :hairout:

As a workaround, you could create a form that displays appWord.ActiveDocument.Envelope.Address and appWord.ActiveDocument.Envelope.ReturnAddress in text boxes so that the user can edit them. When the user clicks OK, use appWord.ActiveDocument.Envelope.Insert to insert/change the envelope. See Envelope.Insert Method (Word).
Best wishes,
Hans

Jack21
2StarLounger

Post by Jack21 »

Thanks again Hans.

I tried the CommandBars options and it did actually work but I did note that the delivery address was highlighted as the dialog box appeared. We have a Microsoft Consultant on site and he feels that this is a bug and will be delving a little deeper to see if anything comes up. No one in the firm has raised this issue so I will leave as is for now and see whether the Microsoft Consultant comes up with anything.

Regards
Jackie