Debug Stops Working

SammyB
StarLounger

Debug Stops Working

Post by SammyB »

Yesterday & today, the VBA debugger stopped working: pressing F8 just caused the entire macro to run instead of a single step. Searching the web, rebooting the computer was suggested & sure enough, that works. I can single-step again. But, this is not a solution, so I am wondering what to do. In my past life, I occasionally had "weird" VBA problems & I discovered if I renamed Personal.xlsb and created a new one from scratch, importing the modules one at a time, then my problems were fixed.

Like any old Excel wizard, personal.xlsb is huge: 53 modules with 32k lines of code. Rebuilding it is not much of a job since I export & backup each module monthly. Anything else that I should do?

p45cal
2StarLounger

Re: Debug Stops Working

Post by p45cal »

I get the same, but only requires a restart of Excel to fix.
Haven't got a solution yet, but I think it might be down to having VBE addin, perhap RubberDuck or MZTools. At one point I'll uninstall one at a time and see if it stop recurring.
Do you use any addins for the VBE?

SammyB
StarLounger

Post by SammyB »

Nope

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Post by SpeakEasy »

When the key stops working, is the related action - Step Into - still available (and working) from the Debug menu?

SammyB
StarLounger

Post by SammyB »

No, I don't believe that any of the debugging worked before the restart. The debug menu item, step into, does not work, and if there was a breakpoint, any run of the macro goes right through the the breakpoint. BTW, those were very good questions.

SammyB
StarLounger

Post by SammyB »

A related question: I also have 6 additional custom tabs which call 122 of my macros. If I rebuild Personal.xlsb from scratch, I assume that all of this work would have to be redone manually. :groan: Does anyone know of a free third-party tool that would document these buttons: toolbar, button name, button icon & macro? TIA I guess that the good news is that I should have been doing this documentation all along & doing it now could eliminate the tools that I no longer use. Too often, I start some grandiose information gathering project and never finish because I get sidetracked with real work, lol.