Model dice throwing

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Model dice throwing

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. VB6 and Excel 2003.

I would like to model dice throwing using OOP design principles. Initially this would be for a demonstration
but it could later be used be build a model. BTW I'm fairly new to OOP design.
Anyway, I think I need to create a (factory) constructor as, when a dice (die?) is instanciated a property (Sides)
should also be specified and validated to a reasonable range (2 to 12, say). I might also include a Colour property
and use enums (2 = Penny, etc.).
I will include a Throw method for each instance, but I would like use a Collection to throw several dice at once.
However, I'm not sure how to implement this. Should I implement the Collection as a separate class?
Ideally, the Throw method could apply to either an individual dice or to a collection of them - Polymorphism?
(I will use arrays to store the results of many Throws, for later input into Excel ranges.)

Anyway, any hints or guidance will be much appreciated. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Model dice throwing

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you'll get some ideas from Dice Class — Building Skills in Object-Oriented Design or from Object Oriented Programming Using VB.net 2008. Neither uses VB6 but the OOP aspects should be similar.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Model dice throwing

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks for your response. I'll have a look through these.
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.