ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Macro 4.0 to be disabled

Post by ErikJan »

HansV
Administrator

Re: Macro 4.0 to be disabled

Post by HansV »

My Firefox refuses to open that link (expired certificate error). Here is an alternative link: Microsoft to disable Excel 4.0 macros, one of the most abused Office features
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thank you both, I have now disabled Excel 4 macros
StuartR

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Thanks for that info. Interesting.
We have seen some interesting Thread solutions here over the last couple of years using them.

I think if I understand correctly they will still be there, just disabled by default, so this change is not too bad.
When you google for info on Excel 4.0 macros you often get a lot more info on how to abuse them to do naughty things rather than using them to do something legit. I guess it’s a security issue, leading to the thought to do this, as Han’s links suggest.

Alan

P.S…..
HansV wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 19:55
My Firefox refuses to open that link (expired certificate error).
…. I have been having those sort of “expired certificate error” errors a lot recently, mostly in Google Chrome, since about a week, - coincidentally at about the time of the recent Facebook problem.
But that particular link in the first post from Erik opens OK by me in Google Chrome but not in Firefox.
Your link, Hans is OK for me in Firefox and Google Chrome
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The error message that I get in Firefox says that this is a Revoked certificate, that is a much more serious issue than an expired certificate.

Every certificate includes a pointer to a certificate revocation list. This is designed so that a certificate can be revoked by the issuing authority to disable the certificate if it has been abused in some way. Not all browsers and applications check these certificate revocation lists. Google chrome has a strange way of consolidating these lists, which clearly isn't working properly for this site.
StuartR

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I stand corrected, yes I too get the Revoked error thing. I assumed it was the other error as I have been getting that so much recently.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're correct, Stuart, I too get a SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE error. I had already closed that page when I composed my previous reply, but that's no excuse of course.
Best wishes,
Hans