Print .tif

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Print .tif

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

Is it possible to print a .tif file from VBA using the Picture Manager, or maybe another Windows tool?

I suggested to this guy to try:

Shell """C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\photoed.exe"" -p h:\misc\MyPicture.tif"

but change it to point to "Office14\OIS.EXE" (the Picture Manager).

It's not working and I've been following-up; apparently the Picture Manager doesn't support command-line arguments and I feel obliged to pursue this a little further if possible.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Print .tif

Post by HansV »

The best I can do is this:

1) At the top of the module

Code: Select all

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" ( _
  ByVal hwnd As Long, _
  ByVal lpOperation As String, _
  ByVal lpFile As String, _
  ByVal lpParameters As String, _
  ByVal lpDirectory As String, _
  ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Private Const SW_SHOWNORMAL As Long = 1
The "print" routine:

Code: Select all

Sub PrintFile()
    Dim strFile As String
    strFile = "C:\Docs\MyFax.tif"
    If ShellExecute(0&, "Print", strFile, 0&, 0&, SW_SHOWNORMAL) < 33 Then
        MsgBox "Something went wrong", vbInformation
    End If
End Sub
When I run this (with the path+filename of an existing TIFF file), it displays the Windows 7 image print dialog. I still have to press Enter (SendKeys doesn't work).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you Hans.

This presents me with an ethical dilemma though. I was pursuing this question, but you have provided a full answer (apart from the Enter bit :) ). I'm not comfortable copying and pasting this on another forum, in direct response to a question (rep points, etc.).

I have made use of the great information you have supplied in the recent past, but mainly to help me pursue, or verify, an answer, or to follow-up on something that intrigued me: not in direct answer to a question.

I wonder what your opinion, and others, are on such a subject?
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not familiar with the rules of StackOverflow - do they object to posting a link to another board? If not, you could copy the code and post a link to this thread, or just post the link.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:I'm not familiar with the rules of StackOverflow - do they object to posting a link to another board? If not, you could copy the code and post a link to this thread, or just post the link.
SO is a pretty freaky environment :hairout: I think I might get told off. (Well, not told off, but.. you know what I mean.) I'll have to read over their rules tomorrow.

Off-topic. Challenging environment SO. You have to formulate a comprehensive, precise answer, but you can't take too long. The slightest mistake and it all gets negative.

Andy.