Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

Post by ChrisGreaves »

It's an old database, single table. I've been using it for about 8 years.
Today I noticed that the Autonumber values were around 40,000,000+ whereas they had been in the 2,000 range.

Before I screw things up royally, has anyone a clue why this behavioral change?
In the screen shot I have included the tab from the definition of the "ID" field.
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

Post by HansV »

In the first place, the table currently isn't sorted by the ID field - as far as I can tell, it's sorted by Business.

If you have ever added a record to the table with an ID in the 40,000,000+ range, for example by executing an append query, the AutoNumber field would go on incrementing from that value. Could that be the explanation?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:In the first place, the table currently isn't sorted by the ID field - as far as I can tell, it's sorted by Business.
That's correct, Hans. FWIW I figured it was one way of showing both styles of number/ID.
If you have ever added a record to the table with an ID in the 40,000,000+ range, for example by executing an append query, the AutoNumber field would go on incrementing from that value. Could that be the explanation?
tHANkS.
I bet that's it.
I recall that a couple of months ago I appended some records from a CSV file. (When I delete a record I append IT to a CSV file just-in-case).
Since I have several date fields in my records, it is quite possible that I neglected to export the ID field, and then sucked up a date field (40,000 days since 1901) as the ID field.
He who plants a seed, plants life.