Defining Relationship In Access

richlocus
2StarLounger

Defining Relationship In Access

Post by richlocus »

Hello:

I tried posting a similar question on the Microsoft Tech Access forum, but it is so clumsy! I couldn't even determine how to view what I posted and even if it was posted. It should be so easy... but it isn't.

Here's the question:
I have a workstation Access database with all the VBA code and other objects. This workstation version links to tables on a server Access database which only contains the tables and no other objects. I have two parent-child forms, both of which I defined the relationships in the workstation copy. When my workstation was shut down, I opened the Server database which only has the tables. On the server, ONE of the two relationships I have defined on my workstation copy is defined, but the other is missing. Yet, I don't seem to be having any issues.

Is it unnecessary to put the relationship on the server version? Since I have duplicated relationships, is that an issue, and which one has priority?

Attached is an image of the relationships. The RED X indicates the one that is missing on the server. The workstation has both.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich Locus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Defining Relationship In Access

Post by HansV »

This is strange - the 1 and ∞ symbols show that the relationships have enforced referential integrity. But as far as I know, you cannot specify that for linked tables: the corresponding check box in the Edit Relationships dialog is disabled for linked tables.

S0330.png

Anyway, you should always define relationships in the backend database, not in the frontend (unless you need to link a table in the frontend to a table in the backend)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

richlocus
2StarLounger

Post by richlocus »

Hans. Thanks. I will add the relationship to the back end.

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

as noted if one makes fixed table relationships in a split Access app, it should be done in the back end file.

having said that; Is it necessary to put the relationship on the server version? - no it is not.

it is good practice, and the only way to apply referential integrity/ cascade deletes - - but it is not mandatory.

in general it is a convenience in that when you make a query in design view, or add a sub form - involving those tables - - then the join will already be understood / included - - - however it is also easy to make the join in the query or define the relationship of a sub form via the wizard when it it put in place...