Query Based on Crosstab Query

JudyJones
StarLounger

Query Based on Crosstab Query

Post by JudyJones »

Access 2002, SP3
I have a crosstab query displaying various email addresses for parents/guardians of each student. The columns are based on the relationship to the student: Mother, Father, StepMother, StepFather, FosterMother, FosterFather, Guardian, etc. What I want to achieve in another query is to pull out one email address for each student. If there is no email address for Mother, then I want the one for Father. If there is no email address for Mother or Father then I want the one for StepMother. If there is no email address for Mother, Father, or StepMother then I want the one for StepFather, etc. What expression would I use to achieve that result?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Query Based on Crosstab Query

Post by HansV »

Try:

Email: Nz([Mother],Nz([Father],Nz([StepMother],Nz([StepFather],Nz([FosterMother],Nz([FosterFather],[Guardian]))))))

Make sure that the number of closing parentheses at the end is equal to the number of opening parentheses after the Nz's.
Best wishes,
Hans

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

I think it would be easier to add a field (or a whole table if need be) that ranks the types of email addresses with a number, then just use a grouping query to find the address with the minimum rank for each person.

1 Mother
2 Father
3 Step Mother
etc
Regards

John

JudyJones
StarLounger

Post by JudyJones »

Thank you very much Hans. Your solution worked perfectly.

I will try out the solution from JohnH as well. It always helps to know more than one way to accomplish the same thing.