Repair An Access 2018 Database

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Repair An Access 2018 Database

Post by hlewton »

I have tried to repair an Access database using both methods listed below. Neither of them offers me a choice of a database file to repair. They both just flash and return to the file I have open, which is the one I wanted to repair. I tried opening a blank database file and tried to repair the file I wanted to but, again, I was offered no choice. No "Database to Repair Window" opened. Since neither method below seems to work for me, how can I repair the database file I need to? How can I make the "Database to Repair Window" open?

By-the-way, my Office 365 was just updated to version 2018 yesterday, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Manually compact and repair a database that you have open
Select File > Info > Compact & Repair Database. Access creates a copy of the compacted and repaired database in the same location.

Compact and repair a database - Microsoft Support
https://support.microsoft.com › en-us › office › compact-...

About featured snippets•
Feedback
People also ask
How do I repair an Access database?
Select the Compact and Repair Database tool in Access

Open the Access application. Select the Database Tools tab. Then click the Compact and Repair Database option on the tab. A Database to Compact From window will then open from which you can select a database file to repair.Oct 13, 2020
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Repair An Access 2018 Database

Post by HansV »

Database Tools > Compact and Repair Database repairs the currently open database.

Do you have a problem with a database that you cannot open?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:04
Database Tools > Compact and Repair Database repairs the currently open database.

Do you have a problem with a database that you cannot open?
Does it repair the database without letting me know it's repaired? I ask because all it does is blink.

No I can open the database but for some reason earlier when I tried closing it, after adding new data, it took forever for it to close. I rebooted and it worked as usual but I thought it may be prudent if I repaired it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

hlewton wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:10
Does it repair the database without letting me know it's repaired? I ask because all it does is blink.
Yes. What happens is as follows:
  1. Access creates a compacted and repaired copy of the current database, in the same folder. The copy has a generic name such as Database1.accdb
  2. It closes the current database.
  3. It deletes the current database.
  4. It renames the copy to the name of the original.
  5. It opens the copy.
This all occurs in a fraction of a second, unless the database is very large.
If there were serious problems, you might get a message about that, otherwise the compact and repair is silent.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:21
hlewton wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 17:10
Yes. What happens is as follows:
  1. Access creates a compacted and repaired copy of the current database, in the same folder. The copy has a generic name such as Database1.accdb
  2. It closes the current database.
  3. It deletes the current database.
  4. It renames the copy to the name of the original.
  5. It opens the copy.
This all occurs in a fraction of a second, unless the database is very large.
If there were serious problems, you might get a message about that, otherwise the compact and repair is silent.
OK, thank you. I guess it must have worked then. It sure is different than when I used to run a repair.
Regards,
hlewton