Side by Side View

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Side by Side View

Post by t8ntlikly »

For some reason or another the side by side view in excel does not seem to be working properly.
When I open a workbook, and then open another workbook, the second workbook appears inside of the first workbook. (See Attached) I don't seem to have this problem in Word, and it wasn't to the best of my recollection doing this before.
What did I do? I also noticed that when I cursor over the excel icons and show the books, that they appear blank with just the excel icon on that view, not like word, where I can actually see the document :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Side by Side View

Post by HansV »

Is the side-by-side behavior consistent, i.e. does it persist if you turn "View Side By Side" off, then on again?

The preview thumbnail problem is a bug in Excel 2007 on Windows 7; Excel 2003 and Excel 2010 beta do display actual thumbnails of the workbooks. PowerPoint 2007 has the same bug.
Best wishes,
Hans

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

That didn't seem to help either.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you click "Arrange All" and select Vertical (or Horizontal)?
x21.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

that part works ok, but they are still in the same window with each other.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you mean in the same application window? That is normal for Excel.
Best wishes,
Hans

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

yes that is what I mean. I don't remember it doing that. When I open an entirely new book, it even opens in that same window. Something just doesn't seem quite right with this. I went to my XP laptop running Office 7 as well, and opened up two separate books. That is what this should be doing as well?

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

I'm not sure of the 2007 equivalent, but in 2003 > Check Tools | Options | View | Windows in taskbar - will show each book separately, unchecked will lump them in the same window. Is this what you are after?
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think Nathan pinpointed the cause. In Excel 2007 it's Office button > Excel Options > Advanced > Display section > Show all windows in the Taskbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

yes that is what I want, I went there Hans and that was checked. I un checked it closed and reopened and re checked it closed and reopened to no avail.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did you start two separate instances of Excel on your Windows XP laptop? If you do that, the windows will behave independently of each other, but you won't be able to select View side by side.
Best wishes,
Hans