can you use vlookup and hlookup at the same time?

MrDeath
NewLounger

can you use vlookup and hlookup at the same time?

Post by MrDeath »

Hello all,

I found this site from the Microsoft excel forums. Great stuff!

So my problem is as follows:

I am trying to pull the contents of a cell. The only way I know how to do it would be to use either a vlookup or an hlookup. The problem is that I don't know if it is possible to use them both in the same formula. I'm thinking that there is an alternate formula/function that I do not know of.

My biggest problem is that the cell I am trying to pull will constantly be moved right as time goes on.
It will also move down as new items are added.

I'd appreciate some help from you pros ;D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: can you use vlookup and hlookup at the same time?

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

With the setup in your sample workbook, you could use a combination of INDEX and MATCH in cell R14:

=INDEX(C4:V8,MATCH(N13,B4:B8,0),MATCH(N11,C3:V3,0))

If you somehow want to look up "Booth Equipment" too, we'd have to know more about how the real worksheet is set up.
Best wishes,
Hans

MrDeath
NewLounger

Post by MrDeath »

HansV! I am honored that you answered my question. I'm a big fan of your work ;)

I think I am good. The entire sheet is just groups and groups of asset classes that go back years and years. (some assets are depreciated over a very long time.)

If I can just make a nice little box that pulls the right totals from each month per class into a box (set up as the journal entry will look), I will be happy.

Now I gotta go train on match and index formulas... please excuse me, and thanks again!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're welcome! Feel free to post more questions if you have them.
Best wishes,
Hans