Embedding A Word Document Link In Excel

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Embedding A Word Document Link In Excel

Post by hlewton »

I managed to embed a link to a Word document in an Excel file but now I can't figure out how to get rid of dialog boxes that open up when I open the Excel file. Please see the attachments. In the first attachment, DDE2. I choose the Update option and was presented with the second dialog box, DDE. I then opened the Trust Center and checked the DDE settings, DDE1. They are as seen in the third attachment, DDE. I then saved the file but it did no good. I still get the warnings each time the file is opened. What do I need to do to get this Excel file to open without the dialog boxes opening every time? Thanks
DDE2.jpg
DDE.jpg
DDE1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Embedding A Word Document Link In Excel

Post by hlewton »

I have been experimenting and believe I may have found a solution but not sure it's the thing to do.

First, I don't believe I can get past the first dialog box asking whether or not I want to update the external source no matter what I do.

Second, I checked the second box in the Trust Center under, the box under the one pointed out by the Red arrow. It was recommended that I do not check that box but it was the only way to avoid the second dialog box from appearing every time I opened the file. Any thoughts on that solution would be appreciated.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK, let me rephrase my question. In the attached screenshot, even though it does not show it, I have enabled the option that is pointed out by the Blue arrow. It, as can be seen, is not recommended but, it was the only way for me to stop the dialog box from opening every time the file was opened. What is the danger in checking that option and is there any other way around stopping the dialog box from opening?
DDE1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Post by SpeakEasy »

>What is the danger in checking that option

The danger is that you might open a workbook with a hostile link in it. Ah, you might say, but my workbook only has a known safe link. Well yes - but this is a global setting, not a per workbook setting. Microsoft says "will start DDE servers that are not already running and allow data to be sent out of Excel. For security reasons, it is recommended that you leave this box unchecked."

>is there any other way around stopping the dialog box from opening?

Not that I am aware of.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

SpeakEasy wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 11:53
>What is the danger in checking that option

The danger is that you might open a workbook with a hostile link in it. Ah, you might say, but my workbook only has a known safe link. Well yes - but this is a global setting, not a per workbook setting. Microsoft says "will start DDE servers that are not already running and allow data to be sent out of Excel. For security reasons, it is recommended that you leave this box unchecked."

>is there any other way around stopping the dialog box from opening?

Not that I am aware of.
Thank you for the reply. I think I feel safe using it because I have never opened anyone else's Excel spreadsheets, just those I create. As long as I only open my own, I think I am safe. But if that isn't the case, maybe I should put up with that dialog box opening every time.
Regards,
hlewton