Problems with PDF files

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Problems with PDF files

Post by BobSullivan »

When I import a PDF into an Excel file, sometimes, multiple lines go into 1 cell. Like this:

North
South
East
West

will go into one cell instead of 4 separate rows. I can't reveal the codes to find out how the PDF splits the lines. Right now I am exporting the info word, pasting as plain text, and then copying and pasting back into excel. Is there a better way to fix this (to have the info go into separate rows )? I know this is vague, but I can't look at the pdf to find out what causes this.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problems with PDF files

Post by HansV »

A PDF file is basically a printout in file form. To convert this back into a Word document or Excel worksheet can be a hit-and-miss process - the converter has to guess at what the original document looked like. It's a bit like converting a stew back to its original ingredients...

Excel does not have a direct way of splitting a multi-line cell into multiple rows. It does let you split a cell into multiple columns: Data > Text to Columns, with Ctrl+J (a line break) as delimiter.
You'd then have to copy the cells in multiple columns and paste them transposed. I'm not sure that would be faster than the route via Word that you describe.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Post by BobSullivan »

Thanks! Didn't know about the Ctrl+J for line break in text to columns.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

BobSullivan wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 19:55
Right now I am exporting the info word, pasting as plain text, and then copying and pasting back into excel.
Bob, does the data in the PDF translate into a table in Word?

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.