Old application executables

bknight
BronzeLounger

Old application executables

Post by bknight »

Guys I lost my HD over the week and believed I had backed up everything, but the old installation to my 2007 may/may not make the save.
First question in all the hundreds of thousands of files what a good name to search would be.

Secondly is there an archive spot to download it again. This is the last paid version, and I don't wish to give MS any more money. I still have my authentication number. :cheers:

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Old application executables

Post by Jay Freedman »

I don't think there's any specific file you can search for that would find what you need. Anyway, you can't simply copy an installed Office to a new computer or drive. It won't work because the installer is responsible for creating several hundred registry entries to tie everything together.

If you have the original installation CD, that will still work as long as you have the 25-character product key. If you don't have the CD but do have the key, you may be able to get a replacement disc as described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246, but it's a good bet that Microsoft no longer has any stock of Office 2007 discs.

As a last possibility, if the key you have is for the Office 2007 Ultimate edition, I can supply an .iso file of the installation disc as well as the update installer for Service Pack 2. (When that version was released, each edition's installer was separate and would work only with keys for that edition. Later versions packed all the editions into one installer, which determined which edition to install by reading the key.) If you can use it, send me a PM to get the URLs of the two files.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Thanks, in the interim, I found the files (the name was what I was seeking and found). Anyway, installed everything except the patches that had Office 2007 in their names, as I'm in the process of re-installing programs now and fighting Windows 10 Admin. blocks.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

That's good to hear. Best of luck with the remaining tasks!

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Jay Freedman wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 19:56
That's good to hear. Best of luck with the remaining tasks!
Do you know of anyone in your ranks, MSVP(sic) that could help on Windows 10 nightmares?

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Sure, ask HansV. :xgrin: Also JoeP, Stuart, and a number of other Loungers. This place is loaded with experts, with and without MVP credentials.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't look at me for questions about Windows! :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

HansV wrote: