Excel Print Margins

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Excel Print Margins

Post by hlewton »

I have a worksheet 4 columns wide and 8 rows high. Column width and row heights are set the way I want them to be. With just what you can see in the attachment, it prints fine using the landscape setting. It fills the page with an acceptable right-side margin. All you see is what is set as the print area and it is told to fit to 1 page.

I want to add the exact same thing below the one you see and make it print out on 2 separate pages. I can get it to print out in the landscape on 2 pages the way I want it to. However, the right-side margin increases more than I would like it to. I have tried adjusting the margins and it only makes it worse. Any idea how I can keep the margins I had when there was only 1 of what you see in the attachment in the worksheet?

I have made it print out fine by adjusting the column widths of Columns B, C, and D. But I didn't think that was the way it should be done when it printed out fine when there was only 1 page to print. Maybe I have hit on an Excel limitation, but I doubt it.

Thanks
1 sheet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Excel Print Margins

Post by HansV »

Could you attach copies of the one-page and two-page versions (without sensitive data)?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 13:29
Could you attach copies of the one-page and two-page versions (without sensitive data)?
I'll try to change it back to the way it was. If I'm successful I will attach them.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK, I believe I have it back to how it was. The file named 1 Sheet.xlsx you can see has a right-side border of about a half an inch less then the file named 2 Sheet.xlsx
1 sheet.xlsx
2 sheet.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think the difference is caused by the empty rows between the two blocks. Because the workbooks have been set to fit the printout to 1 and 2 pages tall, respectively, the empty rows cause the scaling percentage to be smaller for the two-page version. If you remove the empty rows, they will look almost the same.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 13:15
... I want to add the exact same thing below the one you see and make it print out on 2 separate pages.
I am not sure if this will do the trick, but if nothing else it might suggest a solution.
    "ZoomP - Page Setup
    You regularly run printouts from Excel worksheets.
    All too often the page setup leaves vast areas of paper unused.
    You would like a means to make best use of each sheet of paper."
I wrote this to avoid wasted-paper.
It comes with a little user guide; I use the application still, although I rarely use a hard-copy device. Works fine to make readable scales for PDF targets.
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 15:36
I think the difference is caused by the empty rows between the two blocks. Because the workbooks have been set to fit the printout to 1 and 2 pages tall, respectively, the empty rows cause the scaling percentage to be smaller for the two-page version. If you remove the empty rows, they will look almost the same.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 16:21
hlewton wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 13:15
... I want to add the exact same thing below the one you see and make it print out on 2 separate pages.
I am not sure if this will do the trick, but if nothing else it might suggest a solution.
    "ZoomP - Page Setup
    You regularly run printouts from Excel worksheets.
    All too often the page setup leaves vast areas of paper unused.
    You would like a means to make best use of each sheet of paper."
I wrote this to avoid wasted-paper.
It comes with a little user guide; I use the application still, although I rarely use a hard-copy device. Works fine to make readable scales for PDF targets.
Cheers
Chris
Thank you for the reply. I am trying hard to try to understand what you said but I'm coming up empty.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 16:27
Thank you for the reply. I am trying hard to try to understand what you said but I'm coming up empty.
You can set up your page layout (headers, footers, margins to your regular standard settings and then, regardless of the content (and the Print Area you define), "ZoomP" works out the best factor, in Portrait mode, or Landscape mode, or both, to zoom in or out to minimize the number of sheets of paper required to print the PrintArea.

If you have ever stood in embarrassment by the corporate laser printer while it spits out the remaining forty-eight sheets of a worksheet, with perhaps six characters printed down the left-hand side of each page and nothing else (basically forty-eight sheets of wasted paper and time), you'll appreciate what ZoomP does.

From the thread so far, it sounded to me as if you wanted to adjust the margins to accommodate your sheet at the time you print out that sheet.
Zoomp says that you can keep your margins at the corporate standard, and ZoomP will tweak your sheet to make it fit a number of completely-filled pages.

ZoomP is a "best fit" algorithm.

Cheers
Chris

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 17:07
hlewton wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 16:27
You can set up your page layout (headers, footers, margins to your regular standard settings and then, regardless of the content (and the Print Area you define), "ZoomP" works out the best factor, in Portrait mode, or Landscape mode, or both, to zoom in or out to minimize the number of sheets of paper required to print the PrintArea.

If you have ever stood in embarrassment by the corporate laser printer while it spits out the remaining forty-eight sheets of a worksheet, with perhaps six characters printed down the left-hand side of each page and nothing else (basically forty-eight sheets of wasted paper and time), you'll appreciate what ZoomP does.

From the thread so far, it sounded to me as if you wanted to adjust the margins to accommodate your sheet at the time you print out that sheet.
Zoomp says that you can keep your margins at the corporate standard, and ZoomP will tweak your sheet to make it fit a number of completely-filled pages.

ZoomP is a "best fit" algorithm.

Cheers
Chris
Thank you for the clarification. Now I must ask what is "ZoomP?" I never heard of it and a search of the Internet didn't find anything either.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 17:20
Thank you for the clarification. Now I must ask what is "ZoomP?" I never heard of it and a search of the Internet didn't find anything either.
ZoomP is an Excel2003 XLA addin. I have attached a simple user guide. I note that the download link is from 2009, but if you want a current version (still Excel2003) let me know and I will upload a newer version.
I still don't understand your requirements enough, but if my supposition is correct (you are adjusting page margins to fit the sheet), then this might be a better path(adjusting your sheet to fit your designed page layout). That, or else some of my obtuse VBA coding might help you.

I used to issue a call to ZoomP as part of a cover function for the Excel "File;Print" command so that my printouts always made complete pages.
Cheers
Chris

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 18:33
hlewton wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 17:20
ZoomP is an Excel2003 XLA addin. I have attached a simple user guide. I note that the download link is from 2009, but if you want a current version (still Excel2003) let me know and I will upload a newer version.
I still don't understand your requirements enough, but if my supposition is correct (you are adjusting page margins to fit the sheet), then this might be a better path(adjusting your sheet to fit your designed page layout). That, or else some of my obtuse VBA coding might help you.

I used to issue a call to ZoomP as part of a cover function for the Excel "File;Print" command so that my printouts always made complete pages.
Cheers
Chris
Thank you. I'm not sure I would need ZoomP because I seldom have any problems printing out my spreadsheets I need. What I ran into today I believe I have ran across it in the past. I only tried adjusting margins to see if that would work for me. It didn't. But I made it work by increasing the width of 3 columns.

If I am understanding what I just read about ZoomP, I believe it would have worked for me in this instance. I tried to download it just to see what it would do but I got a warning so I stopped. See attachment. If you want to upload the newer version you mentioned, I will experiment with it. The document I read was missing a diagram so I'm not sure I will know exactly how to use it, but again, I can try it. Thank you.

ZoomP.jpg
Regards,
hlewton