Excel 2019 / Connect to PostgreSQL

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Excel 2019 / Connect to PostgreSQL

Post by JimmyC »

When I click data and then select databases, from database and then click PostgreSQLDatabase, I get a message from Excel stating that "this connector requires one or more additional components to be installed before it can be used". When I click the "learn more" text, it takes me to this web page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... n-US&ad=US

When I scroll to "Database: PostgreSQL", it states you need the Ngpsql data provider for PostgreSQL installed on your computer. When I click on that link, I go to GitHub. It appears that version 5.07 is the latest release. I have downloaded the source Zip file and unzipped....but now I am stuck.

How do I install the Ngpsql data provider? It appears the zip download is the source code only, not compiled code for me to install. I am a complete novice at this...so what do I do next?

Thanks
JimC

HansV
Administrator

Re: Excel 2019 / Connect to PostgreSQL

Post by HansV »

It looks like you need to compile the source code for the current version, and perform some configuration - not for the faint-hearted!
It might be better to install one of the older versions which comes as a MSI installer. These versions are still being maintained.
See for example Npgsql v4.1.8.
Download, then open Npgsql.msi
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans, thanks for the reply. I downloaded and installed v4.1.8 but I get the same message. Do you know if the MSI installs the correct bit version based on the bit installation for Excel (i.e., my office (Excel) was installed as 64 bit)? In the commentary, it makes mention to install the "correct bit version" but I was not asked about the Excel bit installed on my PC when I installed the MSI. Perhaps, it "knows" that I have the 64 bit version of Excel? Thanks for your patience as I am truly in over my head. JimC

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about this.

(Using 64-bit Office is not a very good idea, it has too many incompatibilities)
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans, thanks for helping. Yes, I agree about the 64 bit office but this was decided by the "smart" IT department. Enough said. Again, thank you. JimC