IFfy question

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

IFfy question

Post by John Gray »

I want to do

* in a cell, =IF(condition,<fill cell with green and insert the thick left arrow symbol into the cell>,"")

but I can't find how to fill the cell or to show the thick left arrow symbol!
Thanks!

Symbol is unicode F0E1
ThickLeftArrow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Re: IFfy question

Post by HansV »

It looks like none of the fonts installed with recent versions of Windows and Office include this character (Microsoft didn't want to pay the license fee for Arial Unicode MS anymore). So I fear you'll have to use CHAR(231) and set the font to Wingdings, or use CHAR(225) in the Wingings3 font for an even thicker arrow.

S0147.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

notoriouspbg
NewLounger

Post by notoriouspbg »

You need to separately use conditional formatting to apply green fill to the cell

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Hans - your comment about Arial Unicode MS indicates a bit of a disaster because that seems to be/have been the only comprehensive Unicode font from Microsoft.
Later:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typogr ... unicode-ms
says (03/06/2020 - presumably March 2020):
"Arial Unicode MS was originally commissioned by Microsoft Office as an extended version of the Arial typeface to support a large set of international characters. The font was included with Office but not Windows. Over time the Unicode standard grew to the point where it was not possible to include all encoded characters in a single font file, so today most applications rely on font linking or font fallback to provide appropriate language support when a selected font doesn’t include the characters you need. We stopped servicing and updating Arial Unicode and no longer install it as part of Office. However, updated versions of the font are available from Monotype."

How is the colouring of the cell possible in an IF? A nice example would be lovely!
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the attached workbook. I used conditional formatting to color the cell.

S0151.png
ThickArrows.xlsx
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Time for me to explore Conditional Formatting, never before encountered or even heard of!
Thanks!
John Gray