Data Validation: Ignore Blanks

jstevens
GoldLounger

Data Validation: Ignore Blanks

Post by jstevens »

I thought by checking the box to "ignore blanks", the blank cells in the range would not appear in the dropdown list.
untitled.png
Am I missing something? My goal is not to have the blanks appear based on the assumption that the "data validation list" will always have blank cells. I have no control over the list nor the capability of sorting it. These are the parameters that I have to work with.

Regards,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
John

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Data Validation: Ignore Blanks

Post by Rudi »

See this page for explanation: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/data-validation.htm

From the page:
Ignore Blanks: Meaning if you referenced, say A1:A10 as your "Source" for the list and only A1:A5 had entries, the blank cells would not be shown until such time as they have data in them. Very handy! In most cases this would be left ticked (default)

This validation feature cannot be controlled much. It's a convenience feature. There is not much you can do if you cannot get access to the original source. The only other way is using an ActiveX control and macros to organise the entires of the list, but this too is not the best option for what you intend.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The description on Ozgrid is incorrect. "Ignore blank" is a misleading description and it only works in a very specific context: if the source range of the validation is a named range and if that range contains blank cells, users can enter any value if "Ignore blank" is on. If "Ignore blank" is off, the user can only enter values from the list (including a blank).
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

Since I have "Ignore blank" checked, why am I able to select a blank from the dropdown? I thought it would not allow me to select blanks.

Regards,
John
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can always clear a cell, and if the dropdown list contains a blank, you can always select it, regardless of the settings. The "Ignore blank" check box has the rather obscure function displayed in my previous reply.
Best wishes,
Hans