Sequential Number based on Cell Value

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Sequential Number based on Cell Value

Post by JimmyC »

I need to assign a sequential number {starting at 1} when there is a date in column B. There are 12,001 rows, but only 350-400 dates in column B {i.e. spread throughout the 12,001 cells in Column B}.

So if column B, has a date in it, I need to assign the next sequential number, if Column B is blank, I do nothing. I have been trying to do this with a "if" formula...but I can't seem to get the sequential number to increase beyond 2.

Can this only be done in VBA? If so, any guideance is greatly appreciated. My VBA skills are weak {actually terrible} as I don't use it very much and I have had hard time mastering the syntax--especially when I need logic as the macro recording does not help with coding of logic. THANKS.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Sequential Number based on Cell Value

Post by HansV »

Will column B only contain dates and blank cells, or can there be other values in between (text, numbers)?
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans,
Sorry I was not specific, yes, your assertion is correct: the cell will either have a date or be blank. Thank you
JimC

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That makes it a lot easier - no VBA is needed.

Enter the following formula in C1:

=IF(ISBLANK(B1),"",COUNT(B$1:B1))

Fill down to B12001 (or as far as needed).
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans,
You are truly a genious...thank you so much. You have made my day. I need to read about the count function...I was sure this could not be done via a formula. Again, Thank You!
JimC

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

COUNT returns the number of cells within the specified range that contain numbers. Since Excel stores dates as numbers, they are picked up by the COUNT function.

You could also use COUNTA here instead of COUNT. COUNTA returns the number of non-blank cells within the specified range.
Best wishes,
Hans