I’m having a linking issue within same workbook

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

I’m having a linking issue within same workbook

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I have a single workbook xlsb that is used for inspections, on one sheet the client info is entered and from there it is linked to other sheets. Its works good on my computer, not a problem, but on a separate computer (a friends) it seems to be having a linking problem, it keeps reading an Error where the link should be.
I know this is not a whole lot of info, Could this be a setting or a permission issue.
Any thought or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: I’m having a linking issue within same workbook

Post by Rudi »

ABabeNChrist wrote:I have a single workbook xlsb that is used for inspections, on one sheet the client info is entered and from there it is linked to other sheets. Its works good on my computer, not a problem, but on a separate computer (a friends) it seems to be having a linking problem, it keeps reading an Error where the link should be.
I know this is not a whole lot of info, Could this be a setting or a permission issue.
Any thought or suggestion would be greatly appreciated
The workbook seems to have a link to another file that is existing on your PC. The best way to check this is to go to the DATA tab and click on CONNECTIONS. (See the attached).

If the links are "ghost" links or unintended, select them and delete them from the list. Save the workbook. This should clear up the error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Rudi
Thank you for the assistance, I'll give it a try. I cheched out this same workbook using the suggestion you provided and the Workbook Connections page was blank is that how it should appear if everything is correct.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If there are no specific links to other workbooks for formulas etc.., then it is most ideal for this window to be clean. Also check the EDIT LINKS button that open the dialog to manage external links (for formulas). Ensure that this dialog is also clean. You can use the BREAK LINKS button for that. Remember...only do this if you are sure...as the action is irreversible.

If it is not this issue, then hopefully someone else can resolve it with another suggestion.

PS: Are there any hyperlinks in the workbook?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you Rudi
I will give it a try
No hyperlinks

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Check for explicit paths in the formulas for defined names (Formulas tab > Name Manager).

The screenshot below is from the workbook you attached to post 13140 in a previous thread.
x93.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

There were no ghost" links or unintended when using DATA tab and click on CONNECTIONS.
The problem seemed to have been resolved; the links seem to be working at this present moment. From how it was explained to me was, my friend who downloaded this workbook from a zip file I sent via email, he then downloaded to his desktop. I asked him to reinstall into either My Documents or Program Files and from there it seemed to start working. Not sure why. Does the desktop cause this type of issues?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No idea why. One shouldn't install a document such as a workbook inside the Program Files folder, by the way. That is strictly for installed programs.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank You Hans