WorkBook freezes up

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

WorkBook freezes up

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I have a workbook that has numerous sheets; on each sheet I have an introduction that explains the contents of page in the top cell. I do use sheet protection. The problem I seem to be having is (and this is only on one sheet) is when I remove protection then tab within cell, as if to make some changes, and while the cursor is still blinking within cell, if I were to right click on sheet name at bottom of page and then try to tab out it freezes up. Now mind you this only occur on one sheet, the other sheets do not have this problem

HansV
Administrator

Re: WorkBook freezes up

Post by HansV »

Why do you right-click on the sheet name while you're editing a cell?

I think we'd have to see (a copy of) the workbook to investigate the cause of the problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I usually just tab out, but when I first noticed the problem, by accident, I tried to rein act the freezing. And my previous comment is what I was able to determine the cause. I was trying to figure out the possible cause. I’m getting no error signs.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Hans
After much further review, it seems that the cause is because of a merged cell that uses code to auto the cell height of merged cell when data is entered. I confirmed this by checking other location with same format. This freezing of Workbook only occurs using the method I mentioned in my previous post. I tried different approaches and it seemed to work as designed.
I have now learned firsthand for not using merged cell and code. Microsoft needs to fix this issue, merged cells can offer so much more
I wonder if this issue is also present using Open Office?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have Open Office, but I understand it has only limited support for VBA; it probably doesn't have worksheet events.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Hans
I was thinking of starting a new report using Open Office, just to see what kind of results I may be able to get, plus Open Office is free. I did notice that it will open some Workbooks and not others. The others of course where packed full of code, where as the ones that did open were quite simple Workbooks. I didn’t notice any problems with using formulas though, but then again, I don’t know a lot about formulas myself.
I really want to learn to make a rock solid report that is also very presentably. There’s a fine line there.

Jan Karel Pieterse
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jan Karel Pieterse »

There are some workarounds to avoid merging cells, but the best one depends on your specific need.
If I need to make a complex report (and complex -for example- means that column widths need to differ for various rows) I often use separate worksheets for separate parts of my report and then I use the camera tool to grab "screenshots" of those areas which I combine in the actual report sheet.
Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you Jan Karel Pieterse
I see the logic behind this, and it would work, but the reports I generate can vary in size from 15 to 35 pages, with majority of the sheets similar in design / layout. Each report can also entail a lot of typing. On some days I may need to generate 2 and even possibly 3 reports. This is after the walk through visual inspection has been made, so time can be precious. I try to populate my name ranges as much as possible to speed things up and help prevent typos, which I do quite often…
Getting back to the merged cell part, I haven’t experienced a whole lot problems as of yet, But of course I’m still new and learning. I prefer to learn the correct way and design a rock solid Workbook that I can use without concerns. As I’m learning I’m finding other ways to design my Workbook without using merged cells and still keeping the integrity and basic design / layout of the report intact.
And I also need to learn to know my limits on how far to develop my Workbook, without taking away its function ability. Keeping it basic but yet equipped with the right tools to do the job efficiently. I can sometimes be an extremist. :flee:
again thank you for your suggestion