Modify outline bullets

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Modify outline bullets

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Word 2007 (or 2010).

I've copied some text from a web page and kept the formatting. Everything seems to be Normal, if you excuse the pun :laugh:

There are three levels of bullets with Outline numbered Levels 1,2,3 and Numbering Style Bullet (from Reveal Formatting). If I look at the Multilevel list options (from the Home tab) I don't have an option to modify.

I would like to modify each level to move the bullets and bring the text closer to the bullets. How can I do this effectively, so that it will affect the whole document please?

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Modify outline bullets

Post by HansV »

Select the text.
Press Ctrl+Q to remove all paragraph formatting.
Apply heading styles Heading 1, 2 and 3 as appropriate.
Use the MultiLevel List button on the Home tab of the ribbon to apply a numbering/bullet scheme.
To customize an existing multilevel list, you must paradoxically click Define New MultiLevel List...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
This seems to indicate going through the whole document (12 pages). There are also already headings in the document (although they don't use Heading 1, etc.) that I'd like to keep as is.
Is there not 'another way'? Perhaps using Replace?
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'll have to go through the entire document anyway. In my experience, removing all formatting and starting from scratch is faster in the end than trying to salvage some of the formatting and muddling along. But the choice is yours. :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I believe you (as always) but.. I can't resist exploring :artist:(the nearest I could find to an explorer). Andy.