Userform Macro doesn't show for one user

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Userform Macro doesn't show for one user

Post by MelanieB »

An outside consultant made a macro for one of our departments to automate their procedure writing process. This macro is attached to a template, and when the user opens the template, a window pops up with options the user can pick to create/udpdate a procedure. Works pretty slick. Except the pop up window (user form?) doesn't open for one of the users. It works fine if he tries from another machine. But it doesn't work on his machine.

I checked his macro settings, I checked to make sure he has administrator rights to his machine. But I don't know what else to check.

Any ideas?

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Re: Userform Macro doesn't show for one user

Post by jscher2000 »

MelanieB wrote:I checked his macro settings, I checked to make sure he has administrator rights to his machine.
Are the macros in the template actually enabled, but just the AutoNew/AutoOpen/open event macro isn't running? I wonder whether another add-on might be interfering in some manner.

If the macros aren't actually enabled in that template, perhaps it is outside one of the accepted folders?

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Thanks for your reply, Jay. I must clarify that I am vb / macro illiterate.
I know how to record them, and copy/paste code to make a new one.
But I have no idea how to check to see if a macro is enabled in the template.
I had the user email the template to me. I was able to open the template and the macro ran. It runs automatically as soon as you open the file. The user doesn't have to do anything to start the macro. You open the file and poof... the user form screen opens with options to work with the document.

Does that make it clearer? I would be happy to send you a copy of the template if that would help.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

MelanieB wrote:I had the user email the template to me. I was able to open the template and the macro ran. It runs automatically as soon as you open the file.
Unfortunately, I think you need to ask the user to try a few things.

(1) Can he run any macros from that template using the Macros dialog? Alt+F8 to call up the dialog, change the drop-down to refer to that template, then try to run one. Actually, you might want to pick one that works for you and suggest running that one.

In case something bad happens, it would be better not to use a critical unsaved document. :smile:

(2) What are his other add-ons? Finding these varies between different versions of Word. On Word 2003, Tools>Templates and Add-ins should list the .dot type add-in, and the COM Add-ins dialog, um, it's on my Tools menu but I might have added it. Not sure where it normally lives.

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Ok. I'll take a look and will get back to you. Thanks!

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

I checked your suggestions:

1. He is not able to run any of the macros from the dialog. This template has several, and I tried a few. None will run. I was able to run those same ones on my PC. He was able to run them on my PC.

2. He doesn't have any addins loaded. I don't have any loaded on my PC either (I figured comparing a PC that works with his was a good idea).

3. I tried logging into his PC as me to see if the macro works - thinking maybe it was a profile thing. But it doesn't work for me on his PC either.

At this point, I'm tempted to re-install Word, but i thought I'd see if you have any other suggestions first.

Thank you!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I know that you checked his macro settings, but the first explanation that comes to mind is that macros have been disabled. Could you please double check?

The next thing to try is whether any VBA code runs for him on his PC.
- Create a new blank document.
- Press Alt+F11 to start the Visual Basic Editor.
- Select Insert | Module.
- Copy the following macro into the module:

Code: Select all

Sub Test()
  MsgBox "Hello World"
End Sub
- With the insertion point anywhere in the macro, press F5 to run it. Do you (or rather, does he) see a message box?
Best wishes,
Hans

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Since he can't run any macros from that template, I would return to the question of whether his user templates, workgroup templates, and startup folders are defined correctly. (Tools > Options > Folder locations) (And whether the template is saved in one of those places.)

As well as what Hans suggests, of course.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You should also ensure that this users Macro security settings are set the same as other users.

In Word 2007 this would be Office Button > Word options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings...
In Word 2010 it is at File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings...

I can't remember how to check this in Word 2003, but do please let us know what version of Word you are running to save a bit of time.
StuartR

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

I forgot to add.. when I tried it on his PC, I got an error message saying macros are disabled. There was no option to let me enable them. I went to Tools, Macros, security and set the level to low and tried it again. Same message. Where else can I find the setting to enable macros?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

MelanieB wrote:... I went to Tools, Macros, security and set the level to low and tried it again...
This sounds like Word 2003.

That should be the correct place to set this. Try exiting from Word after you have changed this setting. Then restart Word and check that it is still set to low.
StuartR

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Post by MelanieB »

Yes, this is Word 2003.
Hans, I did the code you suggested, and it worked fine on his PC.
However, any macro I tried to make using Tools, Macro, New Macro (the recorder) didn't work.
Our I.T. dept uninstalled Office and reinstalled it.
Nothing changed. Macros don't run.
Macro settings are set to low.
The user got a laptop to use and it works fine on the laptop. But, he needs it to work on the PC.
Is there some registry setting that controls this?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Reinstalling Office doesn't remove the user's settings. Let the user try How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002/
Best wishes,
Hans