List Bullet style unstable

Caesar3
Lounger

List Bullet style unstable

Post by Caesar3 »

I built a document that uses (among others) the built-in List Bullet style. In its default state, the style places the bullet at the document's left margin. I modified the style to indent the bullet and the text in the paragraph by about one-half inch.

It works fine most of the time, but from time to time the style reverts to its default. Then I have to return it to my settings. I go to one List Bullet paragraph and adjust the settings with the ruler. Then I right-click on the style's icon and "Update List Bullet to Match Selection." I've had to do this several times. Any idea why? Is it MS-Word's nature to prefer that I use, say, List Bullet 3, 4, or 5 to get the indentation I want?

HansV
Administrator

Re: List Bullet style unstable

Post by HansV »

Can you detect any pattern as to when it happens? For example does the indent change if you paste text from another document? Or ...?
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

Not sure, Hans. It seems to happen when I'm working in another paragraph (different style), and it may have occurred when I paste something. Sorry, but I haven't paid close attention to any patterns.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't really know what could cause this - I assume that you don't have Automatically Update Styles ticked.
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

You assume correctly re: "Automatically Update Style." That's a lesson I learned a long time ago—probably from you!

Well, so far this morning the style is holding. I'll try to watch for a pattern in the behavior. Thanks!

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

This should help: Set the indents in the numbering and then incorporate the change into the style. If you are using W2001/10, click the bullet/number in your List Bullet or List Number style and then right-click it. Choose Adjust List Indents and change the settings to your needs. The new setting should be incorporated into the style definition. If it is not (or if, like me, you just want to be sure),with the cursor in the changed paragraph,update the style to match the selection.

Note: I'm working this week at a client site and using W2007. Whenever I change a List Bullet indent, I get a message telling me that Word is incorporating the new settings into the style definition. I don't recall seeing such a message before in W2007 and I don't see it now in W2010.

Pam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Has that style been set to update automatically?
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

Pam: thanks a heap. Your tip has probably fixed the problem. When I went to "Adjust List Indents," I found the indentation for the bullet was still set at 0". Well, there you go—the problem very likely started right there. I adjusted the settings in numbering, and I trust the problem will not recur.

Hans: No, the style is not set to update automatically.

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Glad to help.
Changing the paragraph indent does not affect the bullet indent. So when the numbering (or bullet) is reapplied, such as by restarting the numbering, the bullet indent will override the style. I'm not sure what would cause the bullet indent to reimpose. But I do recall that, before I learned this, I often had to reset paragraph indents on the List Bullet styles several times before they would stick.

Hans: I'm back at my client's site, and see that the style is not set to automatically update. And today, I'm not getting that message. Nevertheless, the style was changed (from 0", 0.25"), as shown here:

Indent: Left: 0.65", Hanging: 0.2", Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style, Bulleted + Level: 1 + Aligned at: 0.65" + Indent at: 0.85", Style: Hide until used, Priority: 100, Based on: Normal

Pam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Numbering and bullets is one area in Word that I'll probably never really understand... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans