Column/gutter problem

jmt356
SilverLounger

Column/gutter problem

Post by jmt356 »

I have a document with many sections set out as 2-column sections. Whenever I add a gutter to the document, I lose teh two columns and the right indent gets pushed way off to teh right, such that only the first sentence of each paragraph shows up on the page. The right indent at each column is so far off teh page that I can't even see it with the ruler to go ahead adn pull it back. What's weirder: Format | Paragraph continues to show indentation after text as 0. Wouldnt' taht mean taht the text woudl end right at the .75" outside margin I set up throguh Page Setup? How can I fix this such that I can add a gutter withotu messing up the whole document?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Column/gutter problem

Post by HansV »

I can't reproduce the problem in Word 2007. What is the gutter value you're trying to set?

Does it make a difference if you set the gutter value first, then specify the two-column setting?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, I'm trying to set a .2" gutter. I want to avoid the solution you are suggesting becuase it's a dictionary with 26 different column sections (one for each letter) and so it will be a lot of work as I will have to get rid of all the columns then add gutter then go back and reinsert them.

I may just abandon the gutter altogether because it is only a 104 page book. Will that be so bad?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't understand why a .2" gutter would cause problems (but i have no reason to doubt you). Just leaving the gutter set to 0 might be the easiest way out, it shouldn't really be noticeable.
Best wishes,
Hans