Cursor/navigation through doc slow

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Cursor/navigation through doc slow

Post by FrecklePaw »

Hi everyone, I may have asked this before so my apologies if I've repeated a thread, but when I look back I can't seem to find it for reference.
But occasionally (always seems when I am my most busy as if to spite me haha) I am experiencing an issue with Word where the cursor moves EXTREMELY slowly through the document (while using arrow keys), as if it's got a serious lag, and doesn't move responsively/quickly/immediately when I need it to (as it typically would).
What causes this slowing down of the cursor, and how can I TOTALLY ERADICATE this from happening in future - I need to be able to navigate through my Word docs with ease like this as I tend to proof them as I go along and this makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to work with - tearing my hair out with it today!
I've tried closing everything down and restarting my machine but it makes no difference.
PS Everything else is running smoothly, it's just Word and the cursor lagging that is the issue today
:/

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cursor/navigation through doc slow

Post by HansV »

1) Do you have any active application add-ins (in particular Mendeley)? If so, try disabling them temporarily (File > Options > Add-ins) to see if that makes a difference.
2) Select File > Options > Advanced. Under 'Editing options', clear the check box 'Smart cursoring' then click OK. If it doesn't help, you can tick that check box again.
Best wishes,
Hans

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Post by FrecklePaw »

I don't seem to have Mendeley.
I tried unchecking Smart Cursoring and while it didn't immediately make things better, I closed the application down and then opened it back up and it seems to have sorted the issue!
Is there anything else I can try? (I'm paranoid now that this issue will crop up again!)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you also have a problem with text lagging as you type?
Best wishes,
Hans

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Post by FrecklePaw »

HansV wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 14:31
Do you also have a problem with text lagging as you type?
Hi Hans, sorry for delay - I do experience this too yes. It has sorted itself now and I have also upgraded to 365 for the meantime to see how that goes and hoping it makes things smoother. (I would rather have the full non-subscription version of Office but it's out of my budget for now!)