Entry in TOA out of place

jmt356
SilverLounger

Entry in TOA out of place

Post by jmt356 »

I have a table fo authority divided into two columns in my document. The columns are of equal width. One of my entries in the TOA comes up so often that the list of pages on which it appears continue to the right and transgress the right boundary of the column and eventually get cut off. The list of numbers go past both the .35" paragraph indentation after text as well as after my right tab. How can I get the numbers to break to the next line and continue thereon?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Entry in TOA out of place

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, let me know if I should post a screen shot in case what I am writing is not clear.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:...How can I get the numbers to break to the next line and continue thereon?
You should be able to do this by setting the correct right indent on the paragraph style.

What style of paragraph are the TOA lines? What are the settings for this paragraph style?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Make sure that the entire TOA field is in the section with two columns, including the TOA header.
Then select the TOA field, and press F9 to update it.
This corrects the problem, at least for me in Word 2007.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, by "TOA" header, do you mean the title "Table of Cases" that goes right above the TOA? I have that set to one column because remember? from my post yesterday if I had it set to two columns it gets centered in the left column and I want it centered on the page between both columns.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, I meant the CASES header that you have set to 1 point font size.

Select the TOA and clear all tabs, then set a single right-aligned tab at the same position as the right margin.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am attaching the TOA. See Miranda v. Arizona as an example where the numbers move out of the column border.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The style called "Table of Authorities" has a right indent. If you set this to 0 then it behaves as you want.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

TheTable of Authorities style has a right-aligned tab at 7.73 cm (3.04 inches), i.e. at the right edge of the column:
x352.png
But the style also has a right indent of 0.89 cm (0.35 inches). Hence the right-aligned tab stop does not coincide with the right margin of the text. This causes the problem. If you modify the Table of Authorities style and replace the right-aligned tab at 7.73 cm with one at 6.84 cm (2.7 inches), it should be OK.

Alternatively, set the right indent of the style to 0.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans,

When I moved the tab over to 2.7", I got the attached. The numbers still go past the 2.7" line.

When I set the right indent to 0, it fixed the problem of the page numbers moving over to the outside of the column limits. However, I want to keep a right intend and keep the right tab further to the right of the right indent so that I can avoid having the case names getting so far up against the page numbers. By adding a right indent to the left of the right tab, if the case name is too long, it is forced to break to the next page. Can I create that effect while still avoiding having page numbers transgress the column limits?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

This is an example of what happens when I set the right index to 0. See United States v. Robinson. It pushes right up against the page number.

Also, any ideas as to how I could get the number 476 under United States v. Robinson to get pushed to the right?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is what I get when I move the right-aligned tab to 2.7":
x353.png
Document with this change attached:
Table of Authorities.doc
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Very odd, on my computer (Word 2003), when I open up your edited version of the TOA, it shows up with the problem more pronounced (like the image on my 16:42 post).

Do you have any suggestions as to my 16:50 post?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think you can change that, your entries are simply too long to fit nicely.
Best wishes,
Hans

JudyL
NewLounger

Post by JudyL »

These settings look good on my screen, in your document:

Paragraph settings:
Right: .55
Hanging Indent: .25

Tab settings:
.25 left