Problem with section breaks

jmt356
SilverLounger

Problem with section breaks

Post by jmt356 »

For some reason, in the attached document, the end of section break that separates the section title with the

Why is there a page break between the heading "Table of Cases" and the table of cases and the heading "Glossary" and the glossary in the attached document? I want the respective content to appear directly after and on hte same page as the heading, as it does with the Thematic Index.

I was trying to set these up so that the headings would go above the columns rather than fall into the columns and thus get squeezed into the first column on the left; I was trying to get the headings to remain on the top and centered on each page rather than pushed into the first column, but then I ended up with this other problem instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problem with section breaks

Post by HansV »

You can replace the next page section breaks with continuous ones. For example:

- Position the insertion point after the word CASES.
- Press Enter (otherwise, you'll mess up with the styles)
- Press Delete to remove the next page section break.
- Select Insert | Break...
- Select Continuous, then click OK.
- Make sure that the insertion point is still within the section containing the word CASES.
- Select Format | Columns...
- Select One column, then click OK.

Similar for the Glossary.

See the attached version.
Columns.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks Hans, I'm really missing you on Windows Secrets ...

On another note, at the end of my table of cases, there is an end of section break on p. 274 followed by the thematic index starting at p. 275. The thematic index begins on the next page, which is an odd page, but I want to guarantee that it always starts on an odd page and so want to add an odd page section break. If I try to add an odd page break after the end of section break, then I end up with the odd page section break on page 275 and the Thematic Index starts two pages later on p. 277, when it should go on p. 275. If I put the odd page break before the end of section break, then the end of section break gets pushed back to p. 275, which becomes a blank page, followed by the Thematic Index on p. 276, an even page.

Is there a way to avoid all of this by replacing the end of section break with an odd page break without messing up the two columns I have set up, or otherwise getting the end of section break on the same page as the odd page break?
how can I replace a section break at the end of a co
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Why would you miss me at Windows Secrets? You can reach me here...

You can change the type of a section break, without having to insert a new one:

Click in the section with the thematic index.
Select File | Page Setup...
Activate the Layout tab.
Select "Odd page" from the "Section start" dropdown.
Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, the issue is that Windows Secrets has a lot of pros on hardware and non MS software. You are to my knowledge the top expert on Office and especially Word. So I guess I have to remember to always come to this lounge for MS Office.

A few years back, I posted about my odd section breaks that eventually turn into ordinary section breaks on their own. The best advice I got was that it was a bug in Word. Do you have any further knowledge on this? I currently have each new chapter in my document preceded by an odd section break so that each chapter starts to the right. But I just know that after using my manuscript and opening and closing it a few times this will be lost.

Putting two page breaks in lieu of an odd page break doesn't always help, because while I am modifying my manuscript it may wind up ending on an even page and so the two page breaks would cause the following chapter to start on an even page. Odd page breaks are the only hope I've got.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We have experts on hardware too (some of them are active both here and in the Windows Secrets Lounge).

But anyway, I'm not aware of new developments. There's an alternative to odd page section breaks in Create a non-blank, even-numbered page at the end of a chapter on the Word MVP site.
Best wishes,
Hans