Customize Quick Access Toolbar button

Sundog
5StarLounger

Customize Quick Access Toolbar button

Post by Sundog »

In Word 2007, there are 6 macros that I use often, to hop around in a long document: M1=Place an M1 bookmark at cursor; G1= Go to bookmark M1. Similarly for M2, M3, G2, and G3. I have placed them on my Quick Access Toolbar, using button images from the limited set provided by Word.

What I'd like to do is to replace those images with some that make more sense to me, such as u, v, w; j, k, l; as expressed in font=Wingdings 2. (Are any symbol fonts usable in a lounge message?)

Or even M1, M2, M3; G1, G2, G3; which I could do in Word 2003. Is there a way to do this?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Customize Quick Access Toolbar button

Post by HansV »

It can be done by manipulating the Word.qat file (in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office) directly, but it's tricky - if you customize the Quick Access Toolbar again, the custom button images will be lost. Better live with the stupid interface.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Ugh. In the Word.qat file, I see my macros after _2". From what you indicate, I suspect that everything from _2" on down would be lost at the next customization? Or would the stuff subject to loss be further down? (_3"?)

Where could I possibly find a listing of the imageMso="names" and their corresponding images?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There is some info on how to do this in Excel in Add buttons to the QAT and customize the images of the buttons, but I don't know the equivalent for Word, and I strongly recommend not experimenting without having a good backup - you might damage your installation of Word.
Best wishes,
Hans