Shift + F5 not working in Word 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Shift + F5 not working in Word 2016

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 15:48
The first point is stupid (of that support person), the latter one is worrying!
Well it gets even worse before it gets better.

Turns out that guy didn't even manage to get the support case closed so that I wouldn't get a callback. I got the callback and I am kind of glad and this is why.

The second level support person was very attentive and VERY much interested in what solution we came up with. After I explained it she said that I may have been able to open Word, Options, Advanced, Display, and tick the option Disable hardware graphics acceleration. She thought that may have worked. Funny thing is on both my desktops that have this same video card that option is not there. Neither is GeForce Experience on them now. She again thought that option was gone because GeForce Experience had been removed. Both these desktops are running Windows 10 Pro. I have this option on my laptop that is running Windows 10 Home and it does have GeForce Experience on it so she is probably correct.

She was totally different from the fellow I spoke to earlier today. There are other things he told me which were wrong and she corrected. He really should be retrained at the very least.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It certainly appears to have done so for hlewton!
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

I've scanned this lengthy thread and may have missed it.

Many computers these days have hijacked the function keys for their own purposes and have an Fn key. Originally that key gave access to the manufacturer's functions. These days it gives access to functions in Windows or other software. Try pressing Fn+Alt+F11.

This is generally a BIOS setting and can be toggled. On my Dell machine, Fn+Esc toggles it. On some computers it can mess with ordinary shortcuts as well.

I apologize if this point was raised earlier and I missed it.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Charles, that occurred to me too, but hlewton reported that F11 worked normally in other situations. That wouldn't have been the case if Fn was on.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 05:41
I've scanned this lengthy thread and may have missed it.

Many computers these days have hijacked the function keys for their own purposes and have an Fn key. Originally that key gave access to the manufacturer's functions. These days it gives access to functions in Windows or other software. Try pressing Fn+Alt+F11.

This is generally a BIOS setting and can be toggled. On my Dell machine, Fn+Esc toggles it. On some computers it can mess with ordinary shortcuts as well.

I apologize if this point was raised earlier and I missed it.
Before removing that GeForce Experience, when I was on the phone the first time I contacted Microsoft support and before there was a scheduled callback, that technician had me try the exact combination, Fn+Alt+F11, and it did not make Alt+F11 work. Actually he had me try a few difference variances of those 3 keys and nothing worked.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 07:55
Hi Charles, that occurred to me too, but hlewton reported that F11 worked normally in other situations. That wouldn't have been the case if Fn was on.
Let me ask this. Do you think that second level technicians suggestion of "Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration" would have solved the problem? I have no idea if that is what GeForce Experience affects.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, it wouldn't have helped. Hardware acceleration has nothing to do with it.

GeForce Experience is a utility that is routinely installed with updates to the driver for Nvidia graphics cards. It is only useful for people who play graphics-intensive computer games, so since you wrote that you don't play such games, there is no need to keep it.
The utility runs in the background and takes over many Alt+function key combinations. That is why Alt+F8 and Alt+F11 didn't do what you expected in Word and Excel.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 15:02
No, it wouldn't have helped. Hardware acceleration has nothing to do with it.

GeForce Experience is a utility that is routinely installed with updates to the driver for Nvidia graphics cards. It is only useful for people who play graphics-intensive computer games, so since you wrote that you don't play such games, there is no need to keep it.
The utility runs in the background and takes over many Alt+function key combinations. That is why Alt+F8 and Alt+F11 didn't do what you expected in Word and Excel.
Thanks for that information.
Regards,
hlewton