Incorrect page numbers in Table of Contents

Sundog
5StarLounger

Incorrect page numbers in Table of Contents

Post by Sundog »

In Word 2007, I've found an interesting behavior regarding the page numbers in the TofC. My document has no section breaks. It has a Different First Page. Page 2 (et seq.) has a footer that includes "Page 2 of 24." After some changes in the document, when I update the TofC via F9 and Update page numbers only, the first page that appears in my TofC shows a page number of 6, but its footer shows a page number of 7. Ouch!

However, if I do an F9 and Update entire table, the TofC page numbers now match the footers. How do I avoid this F9 and Update page numbers only behavior?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Incorrect page numbers in Table of Contents

Post by HansV »

I cannot reproduce the error. Could you attach a sample document (with some dummy text)?
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If I remember right this had been an issue for many earlier versions of Word. Therefore I have always use the update "Update entire table".

I sure wish the Default would be "Update entire table" including when one is printing the document. :evilgrin: :grin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Hans, unfortunately Undo doesn't go far enough back, so no sample with that behavior is available.

Dave, I couldn't agree more! I will follow your advice.
Sundog