AutoOpen Format Tools Upon Selection

Sundog
5StarLounger

AutoOpen Format Tools Upon Selection

Post by Sundog »

In a Word 2007 document, I insert a shape using the Insert > Illustrations > Shapes dropdown. When I do that, the Drawing Tools > Format ribbon obligingly opens so I can change the shape parameters. A particular page may have 15 or 20 shapes. I go about my business, and add some text here and there elsewhere in the document, which causes the Home ribbon to open. Then I realize that I want to change a shape color, let's say. I select the shape, and the Drawing Tools > Format tab appears, BUT then I have to click Format to open that ribbon.

If I double-click a shape, the Drawing Tools > Format ribbon opens. But I would rather not go on double-clicking dozens or hundreds of times in one document.

How can I get the Format ribbon to open automagically when I select a shape with a single click? This would be analogous to Word's behavior if I've formatted a shape from the Drawing Tools > Format ribbon, then clicked in some text; Word opens the Home ribbon.

The same behavior occurs with the Picture Tools ribbon.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Autoselect Format Tools Upon Selection

Post by HansV »

I don't think that's possible and it's one of the reasons why I hate the ribbon. In earlier versions, you displayed the toolbars that you needed during a session, and they remained visible until you hid them again. In 2007, there is no such option. A typical example of Artificial Stupidity! :burnup:

Instead of double clicking the picture, you can click it and press Alt+J, but whether that counts as an improvement...
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Re: AutoOpen Format Tools Upon Selection

Post by Sundog »

Yes, I was afraid you would say that!

Does anyone know if Word 2010 behaves differently?
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Alt+J does, however, add mysterious numbered and lettered boxes to the Format ribbon. Clicking one makes them all disappear. What is their purpose?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Pressing Alt displays the keyboard shortcuts for the ribbon, for instance (Alt+)F to activate the Office button (which is actually the File menu), etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

So, rather than just moving the mouse and clicking on Send to Back, if I press the wonderfully intuitive Alt + A then E, I get the Send to Back dropdown?! Useful if my mouse dies, maybe?
Sundog

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

I agree with the sentiments of the Ribbon changing tabs at inopportune times but the right click popup often allows you to find the desired contextual commands quickly.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Guessed wrote:the right click popup often allows you to find the desired contextual commands quickly.
Good tip. The right-click on a selected shape allows direct access to the Format AutoShape pane, which provides stuff on a single tab that would take multiple ribbon clicks to achieve.
Sundog