jump to page from table of contents

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

jump to page from table of contents

Post by stuck »

In Word 2000 the page numbers in a TOC acted as bookmark, i.e. you could click on it and jump to that page. The same appears to be true for Word 2007 EXCEPT that you have to control click to activate the bookmark.

These differences mean that when a Word 2000 TOC is converted to a PDF (using Acrobat Pro) the TOC in the PDF also includes bookmarks that can be used to jump to a page. However, when a Word 1007 TOC is converted, the PDF TOC is not dynamic.

Is it possible to make a Word 2007 TOC directly 'clickable' rather than needing a control click?

Meanwhile, I'm still exploring the numerous conversion preferences in Acrobat 9 Pro to see if I've not ticked something I should have.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: jump to page from table of contents

Post by stuck »

Thought I might have fixed it but alas not yet:
Office Button | Word Options | Advanced | Editing options | Use CTRL +Click to follow hyperlink (4th tick box down)
Unticking this option does make Word 2007's TOc behave like Word 2000, a simple click is all you need to follow a bookmark but still when I convert to PDF the TOc is no longer clickable.

Must be an Acrobat setting I'm missing.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can easily revert to the old behaviour in Word 2007:
- Click the Office button.
- Click Word Options.
- Click Advanced in the navigation pane on the left.
- Clear the check box "Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink".
- Click OK.
x254.jpg
Oops, hadn't seen your own reply
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There's an easy workaround: Word 2007 has built-in support to save as PDF (in the original release, you needed a free add-in from Microsoft, later it was incorporated in a service pack):
x255.jpg
Using this option, the Table of Contents will contain clickable hyperlinks, regardless of the setting for "Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thanks,

I'll have a look at the built in PDF facility but I'm using Acrobat Pro because I subsequently apply a digital signature to the PDF and the way that works requires Acrobat Pro.

A two step solution might work but recent experience (as I moved from an old PC to a new one) wasn't brilliant. I could create the PDF using PDFCreator on the new box then apply the digital sig on the old box but the final PDF contained some metadata that I didn't want, i.e. it was better to do everything in one go on the old box.

There must be a setting in Acrobat I'm missing...

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'm getting there, it's something to do with this:
http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2008/08/ ... word-2007/
under 'Solution' the text mentions "the old check box for creating links from cross references and Table of Contents is no longer available in Acrobat 9 Pro if you’re using Word 2007 (presumably it’s meant to ‘just happen’)." clearly it doesn't in my case :grin:

I'm in the process of trying the 'Solution', which involves recreating the TOC in Word.

Ken

edited to add: the 'Solution' suggested, of recreating the TOC and ensuring the 'use hyperlinks not page numbers' option is ticked, does mean that I can get Acro 9 Pro to generate a clickable TOC in the PDF.

Now all I've got to do is get used to the fact that this means the whole of a line is a Word TOC is a clickable link and not just the page number at the end.

They call this progress :hairout: :evilgrin:
Last edited by stuck on 30 Jul 2010, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:I'm in the process of trying the 'Solution', which involves recreating the TOC in Word.
But that "solution" is dependent on "The reason: The Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers check box was cleared in the TOC creation window." From your description, I gather that the page numbers in your TOC did act as hyperlinks in Word 2007, just not in the document converted to PDF...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Oops, my turn to miss your post.

The TOC entries in Word aren't hyperlinks but the page numbers behave as bookmarks and clicking on them takes you to the relevant page. On my old PC, using Word 2000 & Acro 7 Pro, the PDF TOC behaved exactly like the Word TOC. Now, using Word 2007 (opening a Word 200 doc in compat. mode) and Acro 9 Pro the PDF TOC is just plain text, the page numbers don't act as bookmarks.

I would have expected Acro 9 to treat a TOC in the same way as Acro 7 but it doesn't so I have to rebuild the TOC in Word to fix the problem that wasn't there before I upgraded. Hence my comment about progress!

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...Hence my comment about progress!
If you upgrade to Office 2010 you will discover that the Acrobat PDFMaker macro won't run at all, yet another schlimmbesserung.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thanks for the warning but remember, my upgrade step was 2000 to 2007, which means I'm not expecting to get a new version of Word until 2014 :grin:

Ken