Problem with CTRL + Click while trying to launch a web page

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Problem with CTRL + Click while trying to launch a web page

Post by geecee »

Previously all was OK and it worked but now I have a problem with CTRL + Click while trying to launch a web page from MS Word. I don’t know exactly when the problem began. I have administrative authority.

It’s no big deal but I found it to be more convenient than copying and pasting into the browser.

I am using Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013-en-us and Firefox Quantum 60.0.2(64-bit).

I am not tech savvy so I don’t know whether a fix will be easy or complicated but I would appreciate any help. I’ve looked up the internet on the subject but it’s all too confusing.

In the EXAMPLE I have done [https://] purposely otherwise it would show up as a valid Hypertext.

EXAMPLE:
e.g.[https://]www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=weirdname

If I place the cursor at the end of the web address and key Enter, the text turns blue and underlined thus turning it into a Hyperlink.

Now, when I key CTRL + Click, I get the following message.
Action Error.png
The Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink box is checked.
OPTIONS.png
Thanks.

Edit Perhaps this should have been posted in Word. Sorry!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problem with CTRL + Click while trying to launch a web p

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from Office General to Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions. It contains clear instructions on things you can try to solve this problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Post by geecee »

Thanks Hans.

First I unchecked the ‘Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink’ box in the Word Options window.

Then I selected this part from the web page via your link and followed the instructions.
REGISTRY_EDIT.png
Then I went back and checked the ‘Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink’ box in the Word Options window and the problem is solved.

Thanks again Hans. :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Problem with CTRL + Click while trying to launch a web page

Post by ChrisGreaves »

geecee wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 04:49
Previously all was OK and it worked but now I have a problem with CTRL + Click while trying to launch a web page from MS Word. I don’t know exactly when the problem began. I have administrative authority.
I re-installed Win10/2004 this weekend and had the same problem. :stupidme: :stupidme: :stupidme: despite numerous warnings from [sparkle]Hans[/sparkle] ***I*** knew better and uninstalled Internet Explaorer - it is so passé!

I searched the web for This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect and tried the various RegEdit fixes:-
(1) CU\S\Classes\.html and set to "htmlfile" reboot etc.
(2) Download a registry patch, Install, reboot etc.
(3) Create a new key "DisallowRun" (after RegEdit searching and finding none), reboot etc.
(4) Add Internet Explorer back in :doh: :surrender:

This page is the one I followed, but in case it has moved by the time you read this in 2042

Code: Select all

Open the Control Panel.
    Click or double-click the Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features option.
    In Windows 7 or later, click the Turn Windows features on or off link on the left side of the Programs and Features window.
    In Windows XP or earlier, click the Add/Remove Windows Components option in the left frame.
    Check the box for Internet Explorer X, where 'X' is the version of Internet Explorer on the computer.
(there's more, but you get the idea)

Please note that this was done through the old-fashioned Control Panel rather than the new-fangled Settings.
(signed) "The Chastened One".
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace