Different Footer LAST PAGE - Word 2000

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Different Footer LAST PAGE - Word 2000

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Please, what am I doing wrong? :scratch:
I'm going barmy trying to institute a different footer (or header) for the last page.
With the attached 3-page document I use Ctrl-End to go to the end of the document, the text cursor sits to the right of the "110" in the last line.
I choose Insert, Break, Section break, Continuous, and can see the text cursor flashing in the second section.
The status bar reads "Sec 2".
"Great!" I say "Now to lodge two different footers, one for Sec 1 and one for Sec 2.
But when I choose View, Header, the screen shows that I am in "Footer-Section1-" and no amount of fudging gets me a different footer.
"Same As previous" is disabled.
I had thought that inserting a continuous section break would give me the world's smallest section, with little else but a footer in it.
Wrong, obviously.
I suspect that I could start a new-page section at the top of what is currently my last page (i.e. text cursor immediately to the left of "99", but then adjustments to the document text would render that suspect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Different Footer LAST PAGE - Word 2000

Post by HansV »

A page can have only one header and one footer. If a page contains (part of) multiple sections, Word has to decide which header and footer to display. Microsoft chose to always display the header and footer of the first section on the page. So if a section starts on the last page of the document, the header and footer of that section will not be displayed. (If you delete text so that the section break starts right at the top of the page, it will automatically move to the previous page.)

You either have to use a next-page section break, as you indicate, or use an IF field to display different text in the header or footer of the last page.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:If a page contains (part of) multiple sections,
Thanks Hans, I see my source of confusion. My "Continuous" section break resulted in 2 sections on the one page.
... or use an IF field to display different text in the header or footer of the last page.
Like this? (attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, indeed - if you number pages consecutively throughout the document. If you restart page numbering at 1 at the beginning of the last section, you should use the SECTIONPAGES field instead of the NUMPAGES field:

{ IF { PAGE }={ SECTIONPAGES } "Last Page" }
Best wishes,
Hans