Copy/paste reverse order (Word 2007)

Caesar3
Lounger

Copy/paste reverse order (Word 2007)

Post by Caesar3 »

Here's an odd one for you. My boss asked me to edit an article he wrote. The boss applied direct formatting. Everything's in the Normal style, but some paragraphs are sub-headings (bold, centered) and the document has three levels of bulleted paragraphs. I decided to re-build the document by copying and pasting the paragraphs into a new one that I set up with appropriate custom styles.

In the original document, the bullet paragraphs display with blank lines between them (placed there with a hard carriage return, as with a typewriter). I select the first bullet paragraph, then hold the Control key to select the second and third paragraphs. (I'm skipping the blank lines.) Then I go to the new document, where I've got a blank paragraph formatted with the List Bullet style. I click Paste >> Paste Special... >> Unformatted text.

Now, get this: The paragraphs go into the new document with the correct formatting (List Bullet), but they're in reverse order! The first paragraph is now the third, and the third paragraph is now the first! I've never seen anything like it. Can anyone explain this behavior?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Copy/paste reverse order (Word 2007)

Post by HansV »

Which service pack level do you have? I tried to reproduce the error in Word 2007 SP2, but the paragraphs were pasted in the same order they had in the source document.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, are you sure that you selected the paragraphs in the sorce document in the right order? The first paragraph that you select will be pasted first, even if the second paragraph that you selected with Ctrl was above the first one.
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

First question: I've got SP1.
Second question: I went back and tried again, and I was careful to select the bulleted paragraphs in order: first, then second, then third. The same behavior occurred.

Here's another interesting thing. In the original, all the bulleted paragraphs claim to be formatted with the List Bullet style. (I erred when I said everything's in the Normal style—sorry.) However, the author manually changed the indentation for his sub-bulleted paragraphs (changed the bullet and indentation). When I copy and paste the first level bulleted paragraphs, the weird behavior I described occurred. However, when I copy and paste the second-level bulleted paragraphs, they appear in the correct order! Ain't that weird?

One more thing: I've noticed the same behavior when I copy and paste non-bulleted (i.e., "Normal") paragraphs.

This is by no means a crisis. It's only six pages, after all. I'm just curious, y'know? Thanks for the help, Hans!
Last edited by Caesar3 on 09 Jul 2010, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's a strange problem; I can't find it mentioned elsewhere...
Best wishes,
Hans