Page numbering

adam
SilverLounger

Page numbering

Post by adam »

Hi Anyone,

Is it possible to continue page numbering in a document after leaving blank pages in between. Like chapter separators, Or do I have to print them separately or what?

Any help regarding this would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Adam
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Re: Page numbering

Post by HansV »

If you insert a section break before each new chapter, you can specify how page numbering behaves:
x.png
It's easiest to let each chapter begin page numbering at 1 again. Otherwise, you'll either have to keep track of the page number manually (and update it when pagination changes), or use complicated formulas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

thanks for the help. It was helpful

Regards
Adam
Best Regards,
Adam

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

I need page numbers to be inserted to the pages excluding the chapter named as Introduction & subject. I want each page that is numbered to continue from the previous page.

I would be pleased if you could help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

I have attached the document for your reference.

Regards
Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1. Double-click in the page footer area to activate the footer.
This will also activate the Design tab of the Header and Footer Tools ribbon.
Tick the check box "Different First Page" in the Options section of the ribbon.
You'll now see First Page Footer on page 1, and Page Footer on subsequent pages.
Move to the footer in any of the subsequent pages.
Click Page Number | Bottom of Page and select the style that you prefer.
You'll now have a page number on all pages except the first one.
Click Close Header and Footer in the Close section of the ribbon.

2. Activate the Page Layout tab of the ribbon.
Move to the end of the page before the Introduction page.
Click Breaks | Next Page in the Page setup section of the ribbon.
You will probably have to delete an empty paragraph on the Introduction page (*)
Move to the end of the page before the Subject page.
Click Breaks | Next Page in the Page setup section of the ribbon.
Notice that there is no page number on the Introduction and Subject pages.

(*) You have positioned text on the page by inserting empty paragraphs. It would be better to avoid doing that, and to use the Paragraph dialog (from the Home tab of the ribbon) to specify the Before and/or After spacing of a text paragraph. I have applied this partially in the attached document to give you an idea.
NewYork2.docx
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the help Hans. I appreciate that.

Regards
Adam
Best Regards,
Adam

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

I want the page numbering to be as follows.

I dont want the page numbers to appear in Introduction and subject page. I also want the numbers to continue from the previous page.
Say if the page number before the introduction page is 1 I want the page number after the introduction page to be number 2. and so on

I hope I have made my question clear.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Adam
Best Regards,
Adam

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

As HansV pointed out in post 11358 in this thread, you can set the starting page number for any section, and you can also set a separate header and footer for each section in a document. However, as he also pointed out, that means you have to manually change the page numbering manually each time you insert a new page in a prior section in order to avoid having duplicate page numbers. The normal page numbering scheme for Word assumes that each page has a page number whether or not it is completely blank.
Last edited by Wendell on 27 Mar 2010, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

how o change the numbering manually?
Best Regards,
Adam

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Adam, this is the post I provided a link to:
HansV wrote:If you insert a section break before each new chapter, you can specify how page numbering behaves:
x.png
It's easiest to let each chapter begin page numbering at 1 again. Otherwise, you'll either have to keep track of the page number manually (and update it when pagination changes), or use complicated formulas.
In that post Hans circled the dialog box control where you set the page number for a given section. Unfortunately the attacnment doesn't seem to want to show up in the quote. If you click the post number in my previous reply, you will go to that post in this thread.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

adam wrote:Say if the page number before the introduction page is 1 I want the page number after the introduction page to be number 2. and so on
This is very illogical. Readers (in Western countries at least) expect right-hand pages to have odd page numbers (1, 3, 5, ...) and left-hand pages to have even page numbers (2, 4, 6, ....). The page numbering that you request violates this custom.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

This is very illogical. Readers (in Western countries at least) expect right-hand pages to have odd page numbers (1, 3, 5, ...) and left-hand pages to have even page numbers (2, 4, 6, ....). The page numbering that you request violates this custom.
I guess I have atlast made what I wanted logical.

I have finally made the number flow consistent, which does not count the pages with chapter headings.
What you have to do is after page break, sit on the page number area and format page number and specify the number you have to start paging.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards
Adam
Best Regards,
Adam